Re: New Weta everywhere you look!

Kit , Have we discussed recently what LOTR items UC may be working on or going forward with . I know typically you can't tell us before a movie is released and weapons are announced . But being LOTR has been out for years , I know you have mentioned the Moria Staff of Gandalf and the possibility of a Legolas Mirkwood and / or Lothlorien Bow . Is there anything else we can look forward to ? (Save up for :crazy:) Sorry I know this is the Weta thread , but UC was mentioned :D

For those who are eagerly awaiting Weta's release of Grond, there are a few pics of it posted on the Lord of the Rings Collectors Facebook page (it's a closed group, so you'd just have to request to join it). Apparently a Grond piece has been placed in a display case at the Weta Cave. I'm guessing we'll soon begin seeingr more pics of it in other places like the Flame of Udun forum, etc.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Fingolfin wrote:I'll have to admit, being gone for a couple months, I was surprised to come back and see that it hadn't shipped yet. :huh:
Shipped? It hasn't even been put up for pre-order. There's no word on pricing or edition size even. Weta revealed just a day or two ago that the release of this piece is being pushed back as they are still making decisions on some of the materials to be used in its final production. I'm guessing it's still a very long ways off.

I don't plan to get it because it is simply too big, and the price tag is going to be enormous as Weta's prices are ballooning out of control lately. I like Grond as a piece, but would have preferred it a bit smaller. It's just not so high on my priority list that it commands 'must-have-status'. Not even close.
This Space for Rent

Wow. :O I know it just went into public eye in October but I would think that by now they would have more of the logistics figured out. I read through some of the recent posts on the Weta forum and it looks like they're facing some production hurdles. I agree, it's really impressive but I did not imagine that it would be this big, and the prices for items this big are hard to swallow these days. I might be employed by the time they finally get this beast shipped, but if I'm gonna put my money where my mouth is I'd rather have stuff made by Thrand and N2 for that kind of buck. :rolleye:

The intricate details are pretty impressive, though, in hindsight. It's a more complicated piece than I expected it to be when it polled high on the Shadow and Flame years ago. I can see why they went all out for it, but I didn't expect all out to be another monstrous environment base like Rivendell...and Barad-dur...and now Minas Tirith...and Smaug. Where's that "flogging a dead horse" smiley when you need it.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Had to check it out.

Very well done.... as someone at FoU observed, the artist(s) caught her "angst-ridden" expression perfectly.

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

I'd probably be crucified over there for saying this, so it's a good thing I don't post there, but I'm feeling underwhelmed.

I disagree with all the gushing over the likeness, which I don't consider all that good. Yes, she is head and shoulders better than the old SSW version, but they aged Miranda Otto by about 20 years. The face is way too lined and it reminds me of the newer Legolas statue in terms of it not being quite there. That one also made Orlando Bloom look much older. Considering how spot-on some of the newer statues have been, this one looks off to me. Sorry, just my two cents. :?

Lastly, that flag... nice touch but c'mon, Weta, don't you get that people have limited space? Unless you have a top shelf or tabletop available, that thing will be a nightmare to fit in a partition or lower shelf. If I ever buy it, the spear is coming off.
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote:Oh Buckeye. Weta are releasing a new Eowyn statue in few weeks. There is a pic on FoU.
Wow. That's an incredible piece! And a very good likeness of Miranda Otto, too. It is a MUST have for me. Weta can consider my order already placed. :horseback

Edited to add: I can see where she looks older in the sculpt, but that isn't a show stopper for me. It really is a good likeness, especially if you compare it to some of the awful Sideshow likenesses... the first Arwen, for example. I will never purchase that piece because IMO it bears almost no real resemblance to Liv Tyler.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Sorry, Buckeye, posted just before you. :huh:

I can already hear the bonfire crackling as you, Idril, and Deimos prepare to hurl me onto it. :club:

I rarely find myself in a position where so many feel the opposite of what I feel, but this is one of those rare occasions. I just don't think this is Weta's best work.
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote:Sorry, Buckeye, posted just before you. :huh:

I can already hear the bonfire crackling as you, Idril, and Deimos prepare to hurl me onto it. :club:

I rarely find myself in a position where so many feel the opposite of what I feel, but this is one of those rare occasions. I just don't think this is Weta's best work.
Oh, Val, I would never hurl you into a bonfire over that :rolleye: ...(maybe for a few other things, though...)

I do agree that she has been aged somewhat, yet it's still close enough.
And so much of the statue is right that the whole {appearance] is greater than the sum of its parts.
In other words, more would have to be inaccurate about it before I would downgrade it.

I have Dernhelm, and the face is not quite Miranda Otto, but again, it's close enough.
And I am absolutely nuts about the [canonical] pose of her squaring off against the Morgul Lord (which only works if you have the ML ).
So if I am going to own only one Eowyn, Dernhelm does it for me.

I like this one for what it's worth, but I'm also thinking that the spear is gonna make it hard to display. It's actually my favorite thing about the piece aesthetically, but if this is their idea of a "small" piece these days (after gargantuan showings like the Balrog, Uruk-Hai, both the Azogs) then I'm not going to have anywhere to put all their new pieces anymore. I'm sure they're trying to compete with Sideshow, who refuses to release anything smaller than two feet tall with a price tag less than $550. :huh:

I do agree Val. She does look a bit aged. I am hoping it is just the expression on her face and the extreme close up of the pic. I'll be interested to see it in hand.

I hadn't thought about the height of the flag. I love it though. I would buy the flag on its own.
Last edited by Idril on Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you to all three ladies for being gentle with me. :inlove:

The statue is growing a little more on me, and despite my criticism, I feel that I will get it because she is a very important character and I don't have Dernhelm (and no plans to buy it either, despite it being a cheap statue.) I think part of my issue is that it doesn't do justice to how beautiful Miranda is. I get the look they were going for, but you can express angst and despair without looking like an old crone in the process. I know I'm exaggerating a bit, but they gave her face too many sharp angles and lines. I had also hoped they would've have picked a different dress as this one is too similar a statue to the current Arwen and Galadriel. We need some colour variations as we have all the females wearing white or off-white.

I'm curious what Arwyniel has to say. She is obviously an Eowyn fan, judging by her avatar of many years. :)

To all you moviephiles, is that the flag that gets torn from the pole in the wind and ends up on the ground in front of Aragorn as he enters Edoras?
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote:Thank you to all three ladies for being gentle with me. :inlove:

The statue is growing a little more on me, and despite my criticism, I feel that I will get it because she is a very important character and I don't have Dernhelm (and no plans to buy it either, despite it being a cheap statue.) I think part of my issue is that it doesn't do justice to how beautiful Miranda is. I get the look they were going for, but you can express angst and despair without looking like an old crone in the process. I know I'm exaggerating a bit, but they gave her face too many sharp angles and lines. I had also hoped they would've have picked a different dress as this one is too similar a statue to the current Arwen and Galadriel. We need some colour variations as we have all the females wearing white or off-white.

I'm curious what Arwyniel has to say. She is obviously an Eowyn fan, judging by her avatar of many years. :)

To all you moviephiles, is that the flag that gets torn from the pole in the wind and ends up on the ground in front of Aragorn as he enters Edoras?
haha, yes I love Eowyn. My first reaction was like yours Val. I thought, wow, she looks so old in that sculpt....and her collarbones make her look a bit emaciated. I think they did a nice job with the likeness, but the wrinkles should be toned down. I would've loved to see her in the green gown or the dress she wears in the encampment when Aragorn leaves her without any hope of a relationship with him.

Here's a gif of the flag...looks right.

When Dan Falconer first asked the question regarding pose for a new Eowyn (only the other week so it was already done) the same thing was voiced about the amount of white dresses. I guess this is probably the most iconic scene for Eowyn. Personally, I would have like something really different in a statue. Like the scene of her laying on the couch with the blue blanket (?) over her.

I'm with you on Dernhelm Val. I like the statue but not the face. Goldring on FoU has his modified to have her wearing the helm. I can't help thinking it was to hide the face a bit.

No bonfires here either, Val. As with all things, there is always a range of opinions. Everyone knows that I'm a staunch Rohirriim collector. A new Rohirrim piece would have to be very ugly or extremely flawed to prevent me from purchasing it, but that is far from the case with the Lady Eowyn statue. I think it's terrific, and she will be mine. :inlove:

Now what Weta needs to do is finally give us the Eomer piece they've been promising. If it's not part of their SDCC reveals I will be one extremely unhappy collector. I simply cannot understand why Eomer has been completely passed over for so many years.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote:No bonfires here either, Val. As with all things, there is always a range of opinions. Everyone knows that I'm a staunch Rohirriim collector. A new Rohirrim piece would have to be very ugly or extremely flawed to prevent me from purchasing it, but that is far from the case with the Lady Eowyn statue. I think it's terrific, and she will be mine. :inlove:

Now what Weta needs to do is finally give us the Eomer piece they've been promising. If it's not part of their SDCC reveals I will be one extremely unhappy collector. I simply cannot understand why Eomer has been completely passed over for so many years.
I can tell you why....
There is operating in our universe something called The Law of Eomer.
This directive states that anything pertaining to Eomer --weapons, armour, statuary ---can never be made a reality lest our world be obliterated.
No rational explanation for it, of course. But there it is anyway....I mean, we have enough evidence of it. :-p
Last edited by Deimos on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idril wrote:I do agree Val. She does look a bit aged. I am hoping it is just the expression on her face and the extreme close up of the pic. I'll be interested to see it in hand.

I hadn't thought about the height of the flag. I love it though. I would buy the flag on its own.
That is too funny...you would just have this little solitary polystone flag on your display shelf. :laugh:
So Idril, just go and buy the Green Rohan flag already! There are some on ebay.

I get where Idril is coming from on that one.

I started collecting the old Flaggen Pehl LOTR flags and banners back in the day when I had enough wall space to cover a football field (slight exaggeration but you get the idea.) As my UC collection grew and took over, I quickly realized the flags, for all their coolness and beauty, took up way too much precious space. However, they remain beautiful and Idril's comment made me think that yes, that would be a simple and elegant way for Weta to bring the various flags and pennants of Middle-earth to its collectors: a miniature line, no bigger than the one on Eowyn's stand. They could even come out with a special stand for them, and they could all be displayed in rows, kinda like they do outside the United Nations building in NY, but only much smaller of course. I think that would be a neat collectible. :coolsmile

As for Eomer, I think it is pretty ridiculous how this character continues to be ignored. All that exists of him in the major collectible lines is the old SSW bust from ages ago. If Thranduil hadn't given us the helm, we would still be sucking our thumbs and waiting for something... anything. I know Weta loves to keep its cards close to its chest, but the whole thing has gotten rather ridiculous by now. Someone on FoU theorizes that Weta is being cautious with rider statues because of the cost, and they can only spring so many on customers at a time. Fine. Yet, I think he is severely overdue. Given that Dain on Boar just finally hit our wallets (for those who got one,) I don't think Eomer's chances at SDCC look good. To counter that though, Weta always shows off at least one big piece at SDCC, and I can't think of anything that would be as monumental as finally giving us Eomer. It would be stupid for them to wait yet another year, or wait for a smaller event, like NYCC. :cursing_r
This Space for Rent

Idril wrote:<whispers>. I'm very confident Eomer will be riding in a little over 3 weeks time <end of whisper>
Attempting to restrain my reaction to that lovely whisper... and TOTALLY failing. Both of my cats just left the room to escape to celebratory noise. :viking: :crazy: :laugh:

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

When Idril speaks, the collectors harken. :laugh:

I have no doubts that Eomer will be Weta's big reveal this year, regardless of the fact that I have no insider information. They tested the waters with a surprise Balrog, stirring the pot for the LotR line and the big statue market. They have tested the appeal of rider statues in the Hobbit line with Azog and Dain. And they know how frequently Eomer is requested. As they can see, the market is right and the demand is ready. There is nothing else for it; the Third Marshall of the Riddermark will ride at SDCC. :horseback

Valkrist wrote:Fin, I expected better from you. I'll give you one hint: the character is named after a part of your body...
Proudfoot? Weta is unveiling Odo Proudfoot at SDCC riding a ...what, pig? No, wait ! He's on an ox!
How very, very cool! :cheering:
"I'm getting one!" :horseback
Last edited by Deimos on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valkrist wrote:Fin, I expected better from you. I'll give you one hint: the character is named after a part of your body...
Agreed. If there is a second rider statue forthcoming it's pretty clear to me that you're spot on regarding who it will be. It's another *long* overdue piece, and the evil character collectors will be absolutely giddy about it, too. ;)
Last edited by Buckeye on Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Deimos wrote:
Proudfoot? Weta is unveiling Odo Proudfoot at SDCC riding a ...what, pig? No, wait ! He's on an ox!
How very, very cool! :cheering:
"I'm getting one!" :horseback
I laughed way too hard, because you know I'd buy it. :laugh:

And I apologize, I forget about the Mouth of Sauron and his 15 seconds of fame sometimes. It's been awhile. :rolleye: Probably a pass for me as well, as that mouth gives me the creeps and no doubt it will be really pricey. :horseback

Fingolfin wrote:[I laughed way too hard, because you know I'd buy it. :laugh:

And I apologize, I forget about the Mouth of Sauron and his 15 seconds of fame sometimes. It's been awhile. :rolleye: Probably a pass for me as well, as that mouth gives me the creeps and no doubt it will be really pricey. :horseback
You know, I couldn't figure out what character it would be.
I totally spaced on it being The Mouth because buying bad guy collectibles never crossed my mind (and I've already explained in another post about the exception of owning the ML and The One ring) ) .

But you are right Fin. And creepy doesn't even begin to describe that portrayal.
(PJ got it sooooo right visually with three over-the-top portrayals: the Balrog, Treebeard, and the Mouth)
Whenever I watch that scene I just stare at the mouth with a fascinated horror.
I could never have that thing in my house.... never.

Deimos wrote:
Fingolfin wrote:But you are right Fin. And creepy doesn't even begin to describe [the Mouth of Sauron] . . .
Whenever I watch that scene I just stare at the mouth with a fascinated horror.
I could never have that thing in my house.... never.
Same here, Deimos. Something that hideous, though fascinating to watch on screen, would never enter my home either. Nope. {{{shudder}}}

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

How could I forget that delightful bit of YouTube. :laugh:

I recently discovered that Weta is doing FoU member only deals as of last month. It looks like I'm about to snag a really big piece for nearly half off. These deals are ridiculous...they're offering some art prints at 2 for $30, dwarf statues at 2 for $260, and other mind boggling prices. :O

Yeah, I saw that thread but the whole thing is a bit hush up in that you have to email them to ask what is being offered? Or am I wrong?

At any rate, I wonder if I should finally sign up so I can partake of these discounts? I really don't feel like posting so I wonder if you need a minimum post count? :(
This Space for Rent

Thank you, kind lady. Definitely some tempting deals in there. If by a Weta account you mean their actual website and not the forum, then yes, I do have one of course.

Pity the one art print I'm thinking of getting is not on that list, probably because it's the newest.

Yep, you guessed it....Sauron. :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Valkrist wrote:Thank you, kind lady. Definitely some tempting deals in there. If by a Weta account you mean their actual website and not the forum, then yes, I do have one of course.

Pity the one art print I'm thinking of getting is not on that list, probably because it's the newest.

Yep, you guessed it....Sauron. :coolsmile
ooooooo.....that is a "bad guy" collectible.
You have quite a few other bad guy things in that dungeon of yours.
I would never go down there. :O
Your wife must be very brave.

There's also an extreme time change from here to NZ, so he may get back to you at an odd hour. It took him a couple days to get to my email, as they were busy with the Cave's 8th birthday celebrations. It's been busy down there as of late, for which I'm thankful. There were I believe 8 art prints on the list: 4 were 2 for $30, 4 others were 2 for $50. All deals were excellent. Also the dwarves are all likes 2 for the price of 1 or something ridiculous so that was a great deal. Radagast had a heft discount as well. I could not pass up that deal on Thror though, so he's coming home to me, along with his throne. I must have a sub-conscious love of Erebor, as the few Hobbit pieces I own are basically all Erebor-centric: Smauggie, Thorin, the Dreamsphere/Arkenstone, and now Smaug's treasure and King Thror. I've got a thing for that mountain, a sickness lies upon it. :rolleye:

Return to “Weta Workshop”