Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

He is producing the next one but will not be able to direct it because of Star Wars. Rumor has it (Vanity Fair magazine) that Roberto Orci (one of the scribes of the past two movies) will direct, but that has not been confirmed by Paramount yet.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

The Digital Bits report that they passed along the word to Paramount about fan dissatisfaction with the currently available TOS movie blurays, and Paramount is thinking on it.
First of all, yes... I DID let them know that fans really want better special editions of the classic Trek films, with new, properly-remastered transfers and the director’s cuts. So please know that message was conveyed and the idea is under consideration.

[quote=""Olorin""]The Digital Bits report that they passed along the word to Paramount about fan dissatisfaction with the currently available TOS movie blurays, and Paramount is thinking on it.[/quote]

That's one set I will jump on if and when it finally comes out. For now, I'm quite happy with my DVD versions.

On a similar topic, I finally got around to watching Star Wars Ep. 3 on bluray for the first time (from the set that came out a couple of years ago,) and though I felt it looked great, it also showed the severe limitations of what can be done with old film and that there's only so much tech can do to improve it. Similarly, I don't think much more can be done to improve the current TOS movies image-wise without DNR'ing the crap out of it, and that only makes it worse, in my opinion. What I do hope for is the proper director's cut of these movies (which I believe only applies to STTMP and TWOK - I think a couple of the others are labelled as "Special Edition" but I no longer recall what makes them different from the original release.)
This Space for Rent

[quote=""Valkrist""]On a similar topic, I finally got around to watching Star Wars Ep. 3 on bluray for the first time (from the set that came out a couple of years ago,) and though I felt it looked great, it also showed the severe limitations of what can be done with old film and that there's only so much tech can do to improve it. Similarly, I don't think much more can be done to improve the current TOS movies image-wise without DNR'ing the crap out of it, and that only makes it worse, in my opinion. What I do hope for is the proper director's cut of these movies (which I believe only applies to STTMP and TWOK - I think a couple of the others are labelled as "Special Edition" but I no longer recall what makes them different from the original release.)[/quote]

I thought ROTS was shot all digital like The Hobbit???

But yes, there will be limits in what they can do to make the ST movies look better. But they have to try something....they will look pretty putrid otherwise.

Of the original 6 movies, only I, II, and VI had alternate cuts...III, IV, and V each only have one cut. VI had a couple of extended scenes, one of which was only extended by about 5 seconds ("this is not Klingon blood"). However, I feel if you've done a special edition, you need to put the special edition out on BD and not go back to the TE. Or at least include both cuts. The great irony here is that Paramount has spared no e xp ense for the JJ movies, neither for the movies themselves nor the home releases, whereas they tend the give the beloved original movies the dirty end of the stick.

I just want the 6 movies I have on DVD in the Silver boxes, accept for TMP in the Gold box to be put on BD. Is that so hard?!

And a movie that looks like utter poo crap on BD, albeit it wasn't that great to begin with, but it was cheap and I bought it for nostalgia was Mortal Kombat: Annihilation... sometimes you don't want to see crap in Hi-Def.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

http://trekmovie.com/2014/08/01/stlv-fi ... rge-lucas/

It sounds like the standalone episode for the Season 7 TNG box will be All Good Things. I have mixed feelings about this. On the on hand, it is the best episode of the season, indeed of the entire series, and is entirely worthy of special merit. On the other hand, it has been edited together as a single feature-length episode from the very get-go 20 years ago (though I guess split in two for subsequent rebroadcast), and any special plaudits they want to give it could have been done within the covers of the full-season box set.

On the third hand, what would they have done for the standalone disc of not this one? I figured it might have been Gambit, which I thought was more than a tad lame, or possibly Descent, whose second part I found a bit weak. Given those choices, AGT was the clear winner.

No definitive word on when this will hit (virtual) shelves. Previously I had heard it would be late this year. As they are a few weeks from finishing the restoration, and there is then all the other aspects of creating the physical set, I'd guess late this year is still accurate, especially with the ability to aim it at the Christmas buying season.

Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits has lots of good things to say and report about Axanar, including that he's read the latest script and it is in his opinion "fantastic." Also, the project's Kickstarter campaign is going like a house afire and has already raised about half the money needed to make the film. Finally, CBS is watching this project with great interest, and if it's successful, who knows, we might see Star Trek return to TV.

In any event, it sounds like we are going to get a great movie to watch for totally free. Hopefully they can work out some agreement with CBS to release it on BluRay on a non-profit basis, as I will definitely want it in my collection if it's as good as the 20-minute prelude was.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 81914_1245

[quote=""Olorin""]Various Trek stars taking the Ice Bucket challenge:

http://trekmovie.com/2014/08/19/watch-w ... challenge/

Patrick Stewart has been challenged twice now to take it and hasn't done so yet.

George Takei has challenged Ian McKellen to take it, so let's hope he does.

Best reaction of the ones in these clips so far: toss-up between Shatner and Gates McFadden.[/quote]

Those are great! Maybe Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart will do one together, they seem to be together everywhere on the net.
[quote=""Olorin""]Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits has lots of good things to say and report about Axanar, including that he's read the latest script and it is in his opinion "fantastic." Also, the project's Kickstarter campaign is going like a house afire and has already raised about half the money needed to make the film. Finally, CBS is watching this project with great interest, and if it's successful, who knows, we might see Star Trek return to TV.

In any event, it sounds like we are going to get a great movie to watch for totally free. Hopefully they can work out some agreement with CBS to release it on BluRay on a non-profit basis, as I will definitely want it in my collection if it's as good as the 20-minute prelude was.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/m ... 81914_1245[/quote]

Sounds good to me. The prelude was great, I am looking forward to the finished product. And if this helps get Trek back on TV that would be even better. I'd even take a Netflix series!

[quote=""BladeCollector""]Those are great! Maybe Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart will do one together, they seem to be together everywhere on the net.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!
I'd even take a Netflix series!
Me too. In fact, I might almost prefer a Netflix series or HBO series or whatever over a traditional network TV show. I'd hate to see ST get canceled after 2 episodes, the way so many shows do.

[quote=""Olorin""]Me too. In fact, I might almost prefer a Netflix series or HBO series or whatever over a traditional network TV show. I'd hate to see ST get canceled after 2 episodes, the way so many shows do.[/quote]

I agree, and after watching House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, I'd have to say that I would be pretty confident in a Netflix Star Trek series. It fits with people's schedules, you can watch when you are available, don't have to worry about a certain day and time, or the DVR. I'd be afraid Trek would get a Friday night death slot.

Networks are so worried about the here and now, they gotta be hits right off the bat, but sometimes, you gotta give a show time to develop and let the characters grow. If Agents of SHIELD was on any other network, it most likely would have gotten canceled, luckily its a Marvel show on ABC, which Disney owns both.

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I always give permission to non profits and low budget films when they ask. I was not asked about this one, but I support the project.[/quote]
That's awesome!

I saw the Trek stars Ice Bucket Challenges. So cool! The Spartan Marching Band staff did it today and nominated our first opponents staff to do it. I'm also really hoping that Ian and Patrick take it together, that would be awesome. :thumbs_up

Kit, kudos to you for being supportive of films to using your stuff. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

[quote=""Nasnandos""]I always give permission to non profits and low budget films when they ask. I was not asked about this one, but I support the project.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, have sales of Mithrodin spiked at all since Prelude to Axanar was released? Interest is starting to increase on some of the larger Axanar fan pages and I know a few people have bought one. I'm considering buying one myself.
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I love DS9, and would seriously consider the investment in getting them on bluray. But buying all the others to get to it is just too much money. I've already got all of ds9 on DVD. I'll just have to cross my fingers
#UC1264 Sting, #UC1300 Sting Scabbard, #UC1298 Hadhafang, #UC1372WGNB Fighting Knives of Legolas, UC1381LTNB Knives of Legolas Scabbards, #UC1371WGBN Knife of Strider, #UC-1370ABNB Herugrim

I have them all on amazon prime. Can't I just send them five bucks and a note of support?

They should just have a Kickstarter. Guaranteed sales and money to work with up front.

I'm doing my part: I bought the remastered TOS on dvd, first season of Ent on bluray (so far,) and I'm up to season 3 of the remastered TNG on bluray (I stalled in my purchases because it wasn't a priority, but I'm getting seasons 4,5, and 6 next month.) :)
Last edited by Valkrist on Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Space for Rent

Yes and no, for me.

Yes: If they use a Shatner/Nemoy appearance to delete this timeline and set things back on the original timeline. This can be a one-off series that is self-contained, and then I can actually, possibly, enjoy it.

No: Because I'm sick of them trying to have it both ways. They keep claiming this is an original, new thing and they want to break with the past, but they keep using gimmicks from the original series to try to push turnout. They bizarrely robbed an entire movie from the original series to make the last one that had nothing to do with it, but papered it over to get fanboys to turn out. Now they'll throw Shatner at us? Just come up with an original idea for God's sake.

On another Star Trek note, I just ordered Mithrodin, the Kit Rae sword used in the Star Trek fan film Prelude to Axanar. It was available a few days ago, but now it's backordered for a month. I wonder if Axanar is really driving up sales of Mithrodin.

[quote=""Finrod Felagund""]
No: Because I'm sick of them trying to have it both ways. They keep claiming this is an original, new thing and they want to break with the past, but they keep using gimmicks from the original series to try to push turnout. They bizarrely robbed an entire movie from the original series to make the last one that had nothing to do with it, but papered it over to get fanboys to turn out. Now they'll throw Shatner at us? Just come up with an original idea for God's sake. [/quote]

I have to concur with Fin on this. They had the opportunity to have Shatner in the 2009 movie, and wrote what sounded like a wonderful scene for him, but then never even showed him the part, as I recall. Now it's far too late. I don't want to see Shatner in this movie, or Nimoy, or any other past Trek actor reprising a famous role. They need to stand on their own two feet with their own new, original stories and no contrived cross-overs if they are to have any credibility. They created an alternate timelime for story telling freedom, to escape from the straight-jacket of all that backstory, and what have they done so far but to exercise the freedom to have Nimoy in the movie, and revisit Khan? (Much though I enjoyed STID)

I'll say this about the intro:

1. It wasn't very Star Trek. A little too late 90s jingly.

2. It was made way, way worse when they changed it.

3. Despite all that, I really like the song for itself. I think the song actually fits the series perfectly, and I like the intro sequence that goes with it, but not to actually open the show.

I definitely get that cheesy grab at patriotism from the ST: Enterprise theme, I see what you mean, Rev. :P

As for Shatner showing up, I think that would be pretty sweet. But I'm not a hardcore fan, just a fanboy so I'll go see it no matter what to watch stuff blow up and listen to an orchestra serenade me with a Giacchino score. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Well, this is interesting. I never perceived patriotism in the Enterprise song. It was just about the power of the human spirit, or at least that's what I thought it was about. Sure, the visuals showed parts of the American space program, but I never once felt a stir from those images as American achievements. They were achievements of our species (even if they were being driven by the Cold War).

All that said, I did catch a Bush vibe from one aspect of the show...I thought Tripp sounded like George Bush, and actually looked somewhat like Bush when he was young.

Yeah, I felt the same way as Olorin and BC. "It's been a long road, getting from there to here, it's been a long time, but our time is finally here," I took that to mean humanity had a long struggle to make it to the stars, but now the galaxy is their oyster and they're ready to roam the stars and make the most of it.

Yeah some of the imagery included parts of the US space program, because a lot of milestones happened there. Would have been nice to see some of the Soviet program too, since they had some accomplishments as well. But I didn't find it objectionable on those grounds.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”