Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

Everyone knows the story behind TOS' most famous episode, "The City on the Edge of Forever." It was written by Harlan Ellison, one of SF's most regarded (if in part for his temper and litigious nature) writers, but rewritten by Roddenberry and/or his staff, because the Great Bird felt that certain elements of it did not fit into Star Trek. Ellison was not amused and sounded off about that. Roddenberry responded by saying off-hand things like Ellison had Scotty selling drugs on the bridge of the Enterprise.

Well, now we can find out for ourselves. Ellison's teleplay has just been published as a graphic novel...and the USPS has just placed my copy into my hands. I'll report back on this once I've read it....
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

So, last night I read it. It only took about an hour. The first thing I'd like to say is that the basic story is the same. There are some obvious differences: it is a deranged drug-dealing crew member, not an accidentally deranged McCoy that goes back and changes history, the Enterprise doesn't vanish in the altered timeline but is crewed by pirates, etc. Certainly I will side with Roddenberry that having Starfleet crew members selling drugs is not compatible with R's vision of Star Trek.

The story was also talkier, even by Star Trek standards, than what was filmed. While the basic concepts are the same, not much dialog carried over. I think the visualization of the Guardians (yes, there are more than one, but only one portal) is cooler in the Ellison version. There is also one small but significantly different plot point at the climax of the story that I definitely understand why it was changed (for the better), although it robs Spock of the best line in the story. Speaking of Spock, he is much more of a nag in this story than he ever was in the filmed version...or elsewhere in Star Trek.

The artwork in the book is beautiful, and the writing and dialog are interesting. All in all, it made of an intriguing, sort of alternate universe look at Star Trek's most famous story.

This has probably been posted here before, and if so, I'm very sorry I missed it because I think it is great: http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Just watched the first episode, and boy... did it ever take me back! It truly felt like I was watching TOS again. The story was very interesting, based around the Enterprise encountering Apollo once again, so pretty much a sequel to "Who Mourns For Adonais?" from the original run. They even got Michael Forest to reprise his role as Apollo, and there is a very logical e xp lanation for the character being older. Very well done story.

The sets looked great, the effects were on par with the newly remastered HD TOS episodes, and some of the actors were uncanny in their portrayal of the old cast. Scotty was great, and the guy that played Kirk in particular was spot on with Shatner's mannerisms and appearance, if not exactly the voice. The weakest for me would have to be Sulu. The guy was trying but he needs to brush up on his acting skills.

Looking forward to episode 2 and I gotta say it's great to be watching real Star Trek again. :)
This Space for Rent

Some of the Star Trek fan productions are very good. I always liked the ones that James Cauley did... I think it is called Phase II? I am very excited about that Axanar fan film. The promo they did for it was incredible.

Some of these people really understand the spirit of TOS, and some of them have the ability to put it on screen. That's a good combination. Just think of one of the good fan scripts...with an Abrams-sized budget to shoot it.

Sorry, I already shared this. I don't believe I did, but look what came in the mail not too long ago!

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Olorin wrote:Cool!

He's the only TNG main cast member I never got to see back when I was still going to conventions.
I actually got it because the wife and I backed the Reading Rainbow Kickstarter last year.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Actually, I think Star Wars is in very good hands. JJ, for whatever other faults he may have, I think will do this series justice and handle it with reverence as a true fan, something George Lucan had long lost sight of. When it comes to Trek, I never viewed JJ as a serious fan, or someone who had a good enough grasp or even respect for what makes Star Trek be Star Trek. He tried to turn it into Star Wars. Now he gets to do what he wanted all along, so power to him.
This Space for Rent

I actually agree. thats why i used the little ;) face. I think SW will be fine, now I could be wrong, but I hope not. I think another thing is, I am passionate about my fandom of Star Trek, I would label myself more of a casual fan of Star Wars, I am not as emotionally vested in it as I am with Trek.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Just finished DS9.

Sorry, but Bashir and Dax just don't work together. It should have been Bashir and the other GMP (Genetically Modified Person): Sarina.

I don't know if it's word for word, or if Jon Stewart actually made that reply, but I've heard those comments attributed as quotes from JJ from far too many sources to doubt their veracity. He was not a Star Trek fan and never has been. His movies were not made for Star Trek fans, and it shows.
This Space for Rent

Oh, I know the Abrams part of it is relatively accurate. I was referring to the whole setup with the Stewart show, and whether he actually handed out that huge slam.

BTW, I don't have the URL handy, but there's a great 13 minute clip floating around of Stephen Colbert discussing Pluto and New Horizons with Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Colbert hands Tyson his a$$ several times. It's a riot!

Good grief! :O

Such a beautiful and talented woman, and look what has become of her. I had no idea. Aside from the obvious mental health issues at work here, her change in physical appearance is shocking and drastic, and no doubt related to her problems. Wow... it really is heartbreaking to see your celebrity heroes at such a low point like this. :cry:
This Space for Rent

That's pretty much what I thought too. I'd seen clips of her at a convention a few years ago and knew she'd put on weight. Of course, that doesn't automatically have anything to do with personality or issues, but when you see that she has sort of let herself go physically and is plunging off the deep end mentally, you feel one must have flowed from the other. This is so totally at odds with the sweet, kind Kes...much more the deranged, evil Kes that came back to the ship in a rage because in her dotage, she forgot that she'd chosen to leave the ship, and was instead thinking she'd been banished.

You're probably right, but they would be dumb to set it in the alternate timeline universe. They claimed the reason why they created the alternate timeline universe in the first place was to avoid conflicting with canon of the original Star Trek, so they would be free to tell the stories they wanted to. If they set this new series in the movie timeline then they potentially conflict with the movies. But that doesn't mean they won't do it anyway, of course.

The basic premise of their alternate universe and the underlying logic behind it was repeatedly violated in the second move, Into Darkness. I could ask if you honestly think if they care about screwing with their own canon but you already mentioned you have your own misgivings so I will say no more.
This Space for Rent

The point, in my opinion, of the alternative timeline was so they could reboot/relaunch it without erasing Trek history. There are 200028920920239 issues I have with the new timeline and movies, such as basically the rehashing of old plotlines (which we've already discussed at length) but Benedict was so good in that role, that I just can't make myself hate it... they could have had him play a villain with any other name, why Khan??

My new issue with the new timeline, is the fact that Spock ended up there and with Nimoy's death, Spock's character, from the prime universe has died in that travesty of an alternate timeline.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Return to “Star Trek & Star Wars”