Re: United Cutlery's - The Hobbit - Movie Props!

Nasnandos wrote:Not yet. It still needs a bit of paint tweaking, legal notice added to the mold inside, interior padding added, chin strap, licensing approvals, packaging and testing, et cetera, et cetera.
Testing? UC should use this method:

https://youtu.be/vbY3F_FTkv8?t=1m14s
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

That looks absolutely fantastic. Going to have to build a new helm shelf for that beauty and possibly the Rivendell helm. Pity UC never made the Galadhrim one, they would have all looked great together.

Two questions for Kit: is this the last LOTR/Hobbit helm UC will make for the foreseeable future? And what is the texture on the helm's shell meant to simulate? Metal, leather, or wood? (I love the look and colour but curious what the 'real' material would be...)
This Space for Rent

RevAnakin wrote:
Nasnandos wrote:Not yet. It still needs a bit of paint tweaking, legal notice added to the mold inside, interior padding added, chin strap, licensing approvals, packaging and testing, et cetera, et cetera.
Testing? UC should use this method:

https://youtu.be/vbY3F_FTkv8?t=1m14s
Know you Rev I just knew this was going to be funny :thumbs_up
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Guys got a question for you. Is there any way I can polish my sword blades, maybe giving them a semi reflective finish WITHOUT having to use sandpaper and files and all that sort of stuff? I have no experience finishing metal so I'm concerned I'd ruin the blades. I've tried some metal polish but it only made the blades slightly more shiny than they were. I'd like to achieve the finish they have in the movies.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

There is not really a shortcut if you want to make a finer finish on the blades. It is done by going from heavier grit to finer, in stages. I don't know what you used to polish your blades, but products like Flitz and Metal Glo have micro polishing media in the paste, so they do create a fine polish. It's a big jump from the 400-600 grit factory polish to the fine micro polish though. There needs to be another step in between. That said, if you keep polishing with the micro polish, if will get smoother, it just takes a long time. It also tends to make the line where the hollow grinds meet the flat sides of the blade less defined because that gets polished smooth.

It's not easy to refinish the blades without removing them from the handles either, and they were not designed to be removed. It takes some skill to get in close to the hand guards without making the finish look messy.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:There is not really a shortcut if you want to make a finer finish on the blades. It is done by going from heavier grit to finer, in stages. I don't know what you used to polish your blades, but products like Flitz and Metal Glo have micro polishing media in the paste, so they do create a fine polish. It's a big jump from the 400-600 grit factory polish to the fine micro polish though. There needs to be another step in between. That said, if you keep polishing with the micro polish, if will get smoother, it just takes a long time. It also tends to make the line where the hollow grinds meet the flat sides of the blade less defined because that gets polished smooth.

It's not easy to refinish the blades without removing them from the handles either, and they were not designed to be removed. It takes some skill to get in close to the hand guards without making the finish look messy.
Thanks for the info, Kit :) I'll probably have to leave it, unless I can find someone who has more experience who would be willing to do it for me.

Kit, what will happen with the Thranduil scabbard? Is UC interested in doing that?

I have seen licenses take anywhere from a few months to almost a year, so who knows. Both sides want to continue, so hopefully this one will roll on smoothly and quickly.

There are always negotiations on the royalty, guarantees, and terms to be ironed out with these types of licenses because the numbers all drastically change after the movies are gone. Sometimes it depends on how many lawyers are involved :)
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:There are dozens and dozens of those studio photos created for each actor. Some really great shots. I have them all, but mine are all water marked. Some of those were so much better than the ones we were allowed to use for marketing.
I wish they would publish them. They could release a book just full of character photos. I'd certainly buy it. Just seems a shame that there's so much photography for these movies that never sees the light of day. There were very few production stills released, which seems to be the norm lately.

What would make warner bros stop you from using certain ones? Do they believe the poses don't look flattering, or its not a good look for the actor/actress?

I'd love to shoot stuff like this. Problem is, they'd never be able to get me to leave :P

As I recall, the production picked what WB was allowed to release. I assume they had good reasons, but a lot of things were held back because they did not want to show a certain costume or prop too soon before a particular movie was released. Obviously I wanted to use all the best shots with the actors holding their weapons, and United needed them before the release date to create the marketing ads and packaging, but in most cases the best poses with the weapons were not the ones officially picked for release. It's a shame because those photos really up the coolness factor.

I could not even get approval to use any studio photography with Bard holding the Black Arrow for United, even though it was seen in the previous two movies already. They wanted nothing released to the public before December. Same with the BOFA Mirkwood Soldiers.
KRDS

United is shipping another load of Thranduil swords. I just received a replacement for the one I returned a while back. The hilt finish looks the same as the first run, so either this is a hilt left over from that batch, or they did not make the running change.

I also got a production Thorin Regal Sword. The display looks great, like real metal and leather. Not so with the sword. They did just about everything right with the paint effects, but then they coated the whole thing in a shiny clear coat which ruined it, IMO. All the subtle flat paint wash textures in the metal got completely lost. It looks like a plastic sword instead of the movie prop.
KRDS

Nasnandos wrote:United is shipping another load of Thranduil swords. I just received a replacement for the one I returned a while back. The hilt finish looks the same as the first run, so either this is a hilt left over from that batch, or they did not make the running change.

I also got a production Thorin Regal Sword. The display looks great, like real metal and leather. Not so with the sword. They did just about everything right with the paint effects, but then they coated the whole thing in a shiny clear coat which ruined it, IMO. All the subtle flat paint wash textures in the metal got completely lost. It looks like a plastic sword instead of the movie prop.
Ugh, bad news all around. :'(

Why can't they seem to do anything right or follow simple instructions? The Thranduil hilt is not the end of the world; I can live with the current one. However, what you are saying about the Thorin sword is heartbreaking. Are you allowed to post comparison pictures between the factory prototype you signed off on and the production one you received? Or will this get you in trouble? By the sounds of your comments, this one should be a pass. Pity, as after being on the fence about it at first, I had decided to buy it, but not like this. :(
This Space for Rent

I'm pretty sure I already posted pictures of the factory proto in this thread. Below is link to a montage of those.
http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Hobbit 1/UC3106 Thorin Regal Sword Montage.jpg

I don't have the proto anymore, so I can't post any side-by-side pix, and my photography area is inaccessible at the moment - rearranging my studio. If I get some time this week I'll try and snap some shots off. The paint job itself is not really that different, it's just the shiny look of everything that spoils the effect IMO.
KRDS

Sorry, Kit, the link leads to a server error. Looks like your url has a space somewhere.

What I was asking for were pictures of the production sample you received so that we could compare with photos of the proto sample. I understand you don't have the proto anymore but the photos are around here. Just wanted to see the final product before deciding whether to order or not. Thanks just the same. :)
This Space for Rent

Here are a few with the light reflecting off the shiny surface. All those deep areas have a dull, dark paint washes to accent the aged and corroded look of the metals, but the shiny clear coat kind of takes away from that and makes it all look the same. It's not terrible by any means, but it could have been better. There is a bit too much blue dry brushing on the guard and pommel too.

http://www.kitrae.net/fantasy/images/Ho ... _5382s.jpg
KRDS

Not as bad as I thought, Kit, not as bad at all. I think I will be getting this after all. I think under the right lighthing this sword can still look great.

Kit, what is the hilt supposed to be made out of if the sword were real? It looks to be the most anachronistic piece on the entire weapon. You mentioned that all the regal weapons from Erebor and Dain's axe were made from very outlandish materials, so what is the material on that hilt? Some kind of stone, or just metal?
This Space for Rent

No it's not that bad, it's just that it looked much more like real metals without that gloss coating.

The grip is a dirty gold color on the prop, but a much brighter gold than this, so I assume the 'real world' material would have been hard wood with a gold foil onlay. It's kind of a gold-baby poop ochre color here. The factory approval sample was brighter. When you clear coat over metallic paints it tends to dull the metallic effect, so I think that's why it is darker here. Some dry brushing with a bright gold metallic paint on that grip would make a big improvement.
KRDS

Might spraying some Dull Cote/clear flat help out with the shinyness? Maybe come back in with with some drybrushed metallics to bring back the meal feel?

Tim
MC Sting, MC Samwise, MC Glamdring with scabbard, Sting and Scabbard, Legolas Knives and Scabbards, Hadhafang Sword of Arwen, Gondor Shield, Gimli Battle Axe, Gimli Bearded Axe, Gimli Walking Axe, Witchking Sword, Sword of the Ringwraiths, Witchking Dagger, Uruk Hai Scimitar

Return to “The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit”