RIP Prince

As I'm sure most of you have heard already- Prince has died.

His death has hit Minnesotans like myself harder than most. Prince was born in Minnesota and lived and recorded in Minnesota. There was a saying in this area- you were not a true Minnesotan unless you had one good Prince story.

Mine was when I was 10 years old and working at the MN State Fair. The ride I was working at is kind of an icon of the Fair- which is probably why Prince decided to have a photo shoot there.

While the area was getting cleared for him- I got to stand and talk with Prince. Unfortunately I was 10 and didn't actually know who Prince was- and it wasn't until later when someone played me some of his songs did I recognize who he was. But anyways- I am standing there with Prince, and I asked him what he was the Prince of. It was a genuine question. He kind of gave me this look like I was putting him on but then he saw I was sincere and gave me this warm smile. He then told me he is the Artist Formally Known as Prince. So I had another genuine question- what are you currently known as? He broke out laughing at that one and said "I like you, kid."

He was very kind and warm- even to a kid that had no clue.

I saw him on the streets of Minneapolis a few times after that. But that was my only real encounter with him.

It's so sad that he passed away so young. His studio where he recorded (and died) is only a few miles away from my house. It's fitting that it has been raining today. Rainbows have been breaking out all over the area- including Paisley Park Studios.

Return to “Media”