Re: New Movies

I saw exodus. Rather enjoyed it. Its not something I could watch repeatedly like I do with some other movies, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. The discussion of longer cuts made me remember that there was a longer cut of Robin Hood too, and I'd really like to see the longer cut of Robin Hood. Maybe one day it'll get released :P
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

I saw Exodus a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it and like Lindir said, its not something I'd watching again and again, but it was an enjoyable take on the story/events.

Saw Avengers Age of Ultron opening weekend and really enjoyed it, like all movies, it had a few flaws and a couple of plot holes, you could tell a lot was left on the cutting room floor, hopefully some of it ends up back in the movie for the DVD release, or at least added for supplements.

Watched a movie St. Vincent the other night, rented it from Netflix, with Bill Murray. Overall a pretty good movie, although at first, I was thinking, ok, this is going to be crap, but my opinion changed pretty quickly. Was nice to see Melissa McCarthy play a role of someone other than the fat, obnoxious, foul mouthed buffoon she is known to be nowadays.

I've seen a few more movies from Netflix, but I cannot remember them as I type this. I will have to look at my previous rentals and make some comments later.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I watched a bunch of 80's action movies this weekend at my girlfriend's family getaway up in Northern Michigan. Her Uncle always has some macho-flick from the 80's on TV. I don't even remember which ones were which, but I know we watched Clint Eastwood save the president, Clint Eastwood train some soldiers to kill Cubans and rescue student hostages, and Nic Cage kill people in the Japanese theater of WWII alongside people using Navajo code. So that was my culture this weekend. :club:

I tried to see The Avengers recently, but it was sold out. I'll be trying again this week.
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Pitch Perfect - Pretty funny had its moments, not nearly as good as the first one.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Decide what to defend your castle with at www.castlekon.com

Went and saw Jurassic World earlier today. I really enjoyed it, it was like being a kid again. Been waiting 14 years for this movie and I was pretty well satisfied with it overall. A few nods to the first movie.
I wont talk about any specifics since I am sure there are some members that haven't seen it yet, but I think this movie will be successful enough to set off a new series of movies.

I saw it also and probably should reserve opinion on how well I liked it until I've a chance to see it a second time. For now, all I'll say is that it certainly succeeds on a level of getting to see people eaten by dinosaurs.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan, both of the film and the books. Jurassic World was, for me, a great film, but very different from the films that came before it in many ways.

What I will say is that this film beats the first in at least one aspect: capturing the message behind the original novel.

GuardianWolf wrote:I'm a huge Jurassic Park fan, both of the film and the books. Jurassic World was, for me, a great film, but very different from the films that came before it in many ways.

What I will say is that this film beats the first in at least one aspect: capturing the message behind the original novel.
The message being, at least in part, what Malcolm said in the first one (doing this from memory):
"You were so busy proving that you could do it, you never stopped to ask if you should do it."

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Olorin wrote:And love it or loathe it, JW set a new record: biggest opening weekend ever. Over half a billion dollars worldwide. I find that more amazing than anything in the movie.
That is quite impressive... I am sure the decision makers have already greenlit a sequel.

BladeCollector wrote:
Olorin wrote:And love it or loathe it, JW set a new record: biggest opening weekend ever. Over half a billion dollars worldwide. I find that more amazing than anything in the movie.
That is quite impressive... I am sure the decision makers have already greenlit a sequel.
Yep....there will always be more than enough extras to supply dino dinner...

I don't want to spoil anything for JW, but wanted to discuss something here with people who are more knowledgable on JP canon... but I can't use black speech because of the colour of the forum.
"All those moments will be lost, in time... like tears, in the rain..."

Lindir wrote:I don't want to spoil anything for JW, but wanted to discuss something here with people who are more knowledgable on JP canon... but I can't use black speech because of the colour of the forum.
I guess it's time to find out if the forum software supports a spoiler tag function.

Deimos wrote: The message being, at least in part, what Malcolm said in the first one (doing this from memory):
"You were so busy proving that you could do it, you never stopped to ask if you should do it."
Sort of.

[spoiler="Spoiler"]The speech I'm referring to is delivered by Henry Wu early on to Simon Masrani. In the JP novel, Wu was a critical character, driving much of the philosophical discussion. In truth, he is the character at odds with Ian Malcolm, not John Hammond. Hammond disagrees with Malcolm on the fundamentals of the park, but Wu disagrees on the science and the progress thereof.

In the original film, though, Wu was little more than a bit character. In JW, he says that the dinosaurs aren't real. That the park is not showing people reality, it's showing them what they want to see, what they expect to see. For all the of science-minded folks who complained endlessly about a lack of feathered dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park franchise, this one speech is the one they need to actually listen to. Because John Q. Public still expects dinosaurs to be "terrible lizards" not "terrible almost birds". So Jurassic World (and by extension, Universal Studios) gave the public what it expected to see.[/spoiler]

Spoiler tags. neat! :coolsmile :coolsmile Now I really need to get out and see JW. My girlfriend has been chomping at the bit to go see it so maybe we'll head over to $5 movie Tuesdays at the local cinema tomorrow.

[spoiler="Spoiler-tastic"]Woah, this is so cool. I love not giving spoilers because I love spoilers too much. Always read the synopsis before reading the book/watching a movie :D[/spoiler]

Just remember that you have to put a "title something something" after [spoiler= (Insert that here) ]
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

Okay, I saw Jurassic World! I haven't seen the first one in awhile, and I've never seen the second one. And I have only seen the last 30 minutes of the third one. And all I know about the books is that they exist. :crazy: So, I would really like to hear the opinions of those of you who know a lot more about the series!

Went again with the family last night to a drive-in. The dog thoroughly enjoyed the parts she didn't nap through. :)

The second film is only comparable to the first in effects, but the storyline lacks and is garbage compared to the novel. The third is just...a mess. It's only redeeming quality for me is the use of animatronics.

I won't say the novels are flawless, there are plenty of parts that aren't so great, as with any story. The things that make the novels stand out are the philosophical and scientific discussions between the characters. The films only scratch the topics, which is to be expected from a big-budget film.

I probably won't see JW at the theater.
But the original was responsible for my all time best Halloween costume and the impact it had on a trailer park full of kids who went to school saying, "It's REAL, they really did it!"
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

You fit into that? How the heck do you get in that?

RevAnakin wrote:You fit into that? How the heck do you get in that?

Thrandy was (is?) kind of slender.

What I'm wondering about is the posture you had to hold....even tho' (I Ithink) you are actually looking out the neck, that must have been murder on your back.

I finished watching all three of the original Jurassic Park movies tonight. I felt that the second one was really good until the whole Godzilla scenario with the Rex running amok in San Diego. I don't know how much of that was in the book, but I'm about to find out as I'm about to buy them and have a go. :coolsmile The third wasn't inherently bad; the story was believable. It just seemed like the dinosaurs weren't part of the narrative anymore. The context was missing, and the dinosaurs were just there for the sake of being there. It felt like an excuse to watch dinosaurs fight and see people die, rather than a narrative about the power of nature and our responsibility as inheritors of the Earth. I enjoyed it for what it was, but there's not a whole lot to it.

NONE of the San Diego sequence was in the book; it had a completely different ending. In fact, they "adapted" the story so much for the movie that's almost unrecognizable. And because of this, the movie has a great inside joke. That guy who gets eaten in front of the video store in San Diego? That's David Koepp, the screenwriter.

I think the third movie holds up very well compared to the first two. There's not a whole lot of moralizing; it's just about people getting eaten by dinosaurs. And when you get right down to it that's all the first two are about, and that's the reason why people go to these movies anyway.

Deimos wrote:

What I'm wondering about is the posture you had to hold....even tho' (I Ithink) you are actually looking out the neck, that must have been murder on your back.
LOL, was not a comment about his weight. It was more along the lines of how any human would fit into that posture.

The Lost World novel and The Lost World film have few things in common:
*Second island with dinosaurs.
*Sarah Harding character and her vague relationship with Ian Malcolm.
*Kelly character name.
*Eddie Carr character name.

That's about it. Both of the books have dinosaurs serving as this powerful force of nature that humans want to control, but can't. The Lost World also centers around extinction, behavior, exploitation of nature, and the naivety of people in general.

The premises lend themselves to Hollywood blockbusters, but like most novel adaptations, the deeper topics get left on the cutting room floor. I love the films in general, but the books are definitely worth reading and have a good deal more interesting topics. Give them a read!

Very interesting about the Lost World, and very funny about the screenwriter! :laugh: It sounds like I would really enjoy the books so I'll definitely go find myself some copies. For the record, I really thought that Jurassic World hit those "deeper topics", perhaps the most out of any of the films. There's a lot to be said about our naivety in that military character who wants to use the raptors: "Come on, we're on the same side, right?!" xP Not to mention the way the antagonist dino goes out...it's all about the food chain. And the cut to credits scene? King of the animal kingdom! Humans have no power over that. It all goes back to chaos theory: life will find a way no matter how we try to control it. That's really what I took from JW.

One thing I loved about both the novels and the books is that, generally, it strives to not be a monster movie. It's not "the dinosaurs are loose, let's blow up the T-rex!" Even when the T-rex is rampaging around San Diego, it's not the heroes goal to kill it. It's their goal to lure it back to the ship to return it to the island. JW straddled this fence appropriately given that it had the dinosaurs and the hybrid. The hybrid being the loose monster, the dinosaurs being nature, and of course the humans learning their place...

RevAnakin wrote:
Deimos wrote:

LOL, was not a comment about his weight. It was more along the lines of how any human would fit into that posture.
I had friends to help me in every way.
The back has a zipper down the spine. The feet are separate from the knee down.
I climb into it part way, and then put the feet on. They had a 1/4" metal rod armature to support my feet standing on my toes.

The head is also attached to an armature using 4 rods. These rods went into a neck and crown that I put on my head so that it would move any way I moved my head.

Finally a spine armature was attached around my chest to articulate the tail.

The guys were dressed in blue coveralls, with Jurassic Park hard hats. They stood on each side of me hold a chain that was linked to heavy steel cuffs around my wrists, so I could lean forward without falling over.

The real challenge in wearing it was heat. It is made of urethane padding, so within 60 seconds I was dripping wet from head to toe.
At the State Theater in downtown Detroit where they have the biggest prize money $2500 for 1st place (which I won btw), the management assign the on duty paramedics to me.
Every 20 minutes I came out partially to cool down, drink plenty of water and take my vitals.

And yes I'm a skinny dude.
Last edited by Thranduil on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

Oh, and the trailer park deal, was awesome.
My best friend lived there and spent the whole summer telling all the kids about his friend who went to Africa and got shipwrecked on a small island, and captured a velociraptor.
We made a mock up cage just like the one in the 1st film. You remember it had small openings that allowed you to get a look but not quite get a full few.
We had two guys with their rifles standing guard outside the cage.

I made a tape reel of velociraptor from the film for sound effects with a speaker in the cage.
When I needed a break I would get riled up and shake the cage, so the guys would cover it up with a tarp so I could get out of the costume and cool off.
I wore nothing but a speedo when I was in that thing.

After Halloween, the school called my friend up and asked for the truth about why all these kids were insisting they saw a real velociraptor. That was the cherry on the cake for us.
Even the parents continued to ask my friend what it really was.

The costume now stands under that Grand stairway I built in the mansion, which is where you enter his home theater room. Along with ET on the bicycle, and the creature from the Black Lagoon.

Yesterday, I saw Mr. Holmes, a tale of Sherlock Holmes in old age, fighting memory loss to solve the case he failed to solve years before. Ian McKellen played Holmes. Need I say, great movie?

Considering I don't know how far you are from Ann Arbor, or whether you or really anybody else will like a movie just because I liked it, I really can't answer that. But if it's not that far, and you can have a nice day trip with dining, shopping, and whatever else trips your trigger, I'd say go for it. :thumbs_up

I really want to see Mr Holmes. MI is a miss for me, I've never seen any Mission Impossible movie. I avoid Tom Cruise like the plague.
I did see Ant-Man yesterday and, as with most MCU movies, I enjoyed it a lot. Thought Paul Rudd did a great job, he has a great sarcastic wit/delivery that I think is going to be great against RDJ.

BladeCollector wrote:MI is a miss for me, I've never seen any Mission Impossible movie. I avoid Tom Cruise like the plague.
I wouldn't say I avoid Tom Cruise, but I don't trust him to carry a movie. I'll see a movie that has someone like Matt Damon or Robert Downey Jr. and trust that it will be at least entertaining. Tom Cruise has disappointed me in the past and I'm not a huge fan of his acting.
BladeCollector wrote:I did see Ant-Man yesterday and, as with most MCU movies, I enjoyed it a lot. Thought Paul Rudd did a great job, he has a great sarcastic wit/delivery that I think is going to be great against RDJ.
I was very surprised by Ant-Man. I went in with very low expectations, not being a fan of the character but being a huge fan of the MCU. I left really impressed by how they handled the character. It was a much more intimate movie than the rest of the Marvel films (for the most part) have been. Even though Edgar Wright left the director's seat warm at best, you can absolutely pick up on his influence in the film. I'm fairly certain I know what parts he disagreed with, but I think they were critical and very well leveraged to connect to the rest of the universe and give Ant-man some weight as a character. I'd say it stands against the original Iron Man in both quality and scope. It definitely set up Civil War in some subtle ways. Very excited for that flick, perhaps moreso than I have been for any other MCU film.

Arwyniel wrote:So what did you think of MI, Olorin?

I think TC has put out some very entertaining movies, and he seems to be very kind to his fans. I know he's had questionable behavior in the past, but who hasn't?
I thought it was very entertains. Of the ones I've seen (all but II), I probably liked it best.

I think Tom is probably a good person, but his sometimes flakey behavior and his religion are off-putting to many people.

Definitely on my to-do list. Though I am a Ryan Reynolds fan, I wasn't particularly fond of Deadpool in the comics, and was disappointed at the character's depiction in the first Wolverine movie. However, the reviews have been stellar, all my friends are recommending it, and now I just gotta see it.

Interestingly enough, Olorin, some of the people I know that went to see it said they were utterly shocked to see parents with small children in the audience. Have people become so clued out or lazy that they can't be bothered to check beforehand if a movie is suitable for a child before bringing them? Do they simply not care? Does everyone think "Oh! Marvel superhero movie! Must be totally kid-safe and fun, like Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy!"

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:
This Space for Rent

I have heard about kids at the movie. I guess parents are just assuming its a fun Marvel movie like the rest of them. The other bad thing is, Deadpool is violent in the comics, but recently, things have been marketed to kids, including deadpool. You have the toys, and Deadpool making appearances at children's hospitals, etc.

I have not seen the movie yet, but I hear it is fantastic and NOTHING compared to that travesty in Wolverine. Getting back to the kids at this movie question, depending on the exact age, and yes things are more graphic now, but my parents weren't worried about the violence. My mom was more concerned with the nudity and sex. Being born in 1982, I used to watch Rocky, Rambo and Chuck Norris movies when I was little, so my parents would have probably let me watch something as violent as deadpool at the 10 year old range (minus the nudity, I've heard it has)

I still have to get out to see Deadpool and Hateful Eight. I haven't been to the theater since Christmas break, I don't think. I missed the ball on Spectre and ended up buying it at the store because I really want to see it and didn't want to forget. :crazy:

Ah, there are still members out there. I was beginning to think you'd all been abducted by aliens or something. :crazy2:

I had read something online about clueless parents taking their kids to Deadpool, and who knows, maybe they were duped by the idea of a comicbook superhero, or Deadpool toys, or didn't notice the R rating, or whatever. But it seems like I recall reading somewhere that the studio was cautioning parents against taking small kids. For what it's worth, when I was little my parents took me to movies all the time. I think it was before the R rating was invented, so movies were only G or M (for mature). M could cover a lot of territory but the ones we saw usually weren't too bad. However, imagine my parents' shock when we saw Deliverance! Yep, I saw that movie in the theater when I was 9 years old. I didn't have a clue what was going on in the rape scene (gotta imagine today's kids wouldn't be that naive) but I do remember my parents nervously looking at each other! :laugh:

Anyway, Deadpool is not your typical comic book movie...it's more like a Sin City sort of thing (except you don't need hypnotherapy to try to force yourself to forget you saw it afterward). It's very violent with a fair amount of blood and goo splatters, the dirty innuendos are non-stop, and there's a fair bit of simulated sex in the part telling the story of his relationship. Suffice it to say, if Disney owned this part of Marvel, thisi movie would not have been made. Certainly not like this!

I never read the X Men comic books so I know nothing about X Men except from the movies and Wikipedia, but from what I gleaned from the Wikipedia article, this movie nails Deadpool absolutely perfectly.

Return to “Media”