Re: The weather's been lovely lately

This weather is extremely weird. Snow and blizzard conditions in the western Great Lakes area and tornado weather across the entire Southeast. The NWS just issued our second tornado warning of the day. UGLY weather.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

~~ Thorin Oakenshield

Buckeye wrote:This weather is extremely weird. Snow and blizzard conditions in the western Great Lakes area and tornado weather across the entire Southeast. The NWS just issued our second tornado warning of the day. UGLY weather.
Typical El Nino
"and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with skill, ability and knowledge in all kinds of crafts- to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut stones, to work in wood, and engage in all kinds of craftsmanship"

El Niño seems to have parked a high pressure system over Arizona, resulting in temperatures 15 degrees above normal.
For the last 4 weeks (and today) instead of daytime temps in the low 70s (F) we have been in the high 80s, even hitting the low 90's a couple of times.....like Phoenix doesn't get enough hot weather 6 months out of the year, we need it in February too? Jeez, this better be an anomaly. :angry:

"Eternity is an awful long time, especially towards the end."

"What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
It also depends on what sort of person you are.” -- CSL

Well, at 11 AM (as I write this) it is 97. I doubt that the mercury will stop there.
And by Monday we will be solidly in triple digits.

Every summer I wonder what could have possessed me to move here :huh: . ..and then every winter (my 34th coming up) I remember why :thumbs_up.

Edit: The one "saving feature" --if it can be called that--of summers here is the monsoon season mid July through mid Sept.
It's still hot, and the dew point has risen uncomfortably high, but the shifting of the winds to the SE bringing in moisture makes for some really spectacular storms.
For anyone who hasn't viewed it, go to the Media forum and check out "Arizona Monsoon".
http://www.ucforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=319&t=5792
Last edited by Deimos on Sun May 29, 2016 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fingolfin wrote:I don't think anyone doubts Thrandrew's character. An upstanding craftsman, businessman and exemplary Michigander if there ever was one. :coolsmile
Michigan has exemplary Michiganders?
Can you verify that?
Has Consumer Reports rated Michiganders?...compared to other Michiganders? ...compared to the exemplary-ness of non-Michiganders, like maybe to Arizona-ziens?

Valkrist wrote:Methinks the high temperatures of Far Harad, where Deimos dwells, have affected her wits. :huh:
You got that right, baby......117 coming up later in the week. :O

Valkrist wrote:Translation: 47c

Yep, that's not Far Harad; that's peering into Orodruin's crater.

Closest I've been to that was 44c (111f) in Rome one summer. xP
:lol:

Man! 47 is hot! I guess it is a dry heat - it is the desert isn't it......

I think I've been in around 45c but humid. Felt like I was drinking when I took a breath.

Gee Val - been in Rome at around 37c and that was bad. 44c would have been Sh!tty. All the marble - you would have thought you were in a oven.

Valkrist wrote:Translation: 47c

Yep, that's not Far Harad; that's peering into Orodruin's crater.

Closest I've been to that was 44c (111f) in Rome one summer. xP
Val... I will be in Rome in about a Month... I do not want to leave the sweaty armpit of weather known as Southeast Texas to go an equally yucky place. :P I think I am gonna vacation in Antarctica one summer.... just to cool off
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Ok, I moved this conversation here because it stopped having anything to do with Théoden's Helm. :crazy2:

Idril and BC, yeah that did feel like an insanely hot day (because it was) but as luck would have it, it was a free day on our tour when we were not visiting any sites, so after having lunch in the city, our group rushed back to our hotel and we spent the entire day in the enormous pool. :cheers: :coolsmile
This Space for Rent

Olorin wrote:We are currently enjoying typical Midwestern weather: low 80s, mostly sunny, occasional thunderstorms, and slightly to moderately humid. Everything is a wildly green here, as you can probably imagine.
Green....green.... aahhh, yes.... the color of plants that receive water.
Can't say I'm too familiar with that.
We do have, however, the equivalent of the Crayola crayon box of 152 colors...all in shades of brown, tan, and the over-used "Sedona Red". :-p

Deimos wrote:
Olorin wrote:We are currently enjoying typical Midwestern weather: low 80s, mostly sunny, occasional thunderstorms, and slightly to moderately humid. Everything is a wildly green here, as you can probably imagine.
Green....green.... aahhh, yes.... the color of plants that receive water.
Can't say I'm too familiar with that.
We do have, however, the equivalent of the Crayola crayon box of 152 colors...all in shades of brown, tan, and the over-used "Sedona Red". :-p
Arizona has its own beauty in those shades...especially in places like the Grand Canyon. :thumbs_up

When I was in college, I was on a splendid field trip that went to a lot of the parks in the Southwest. At the Grand Canyon, we hiked down one day, camped along the river at the bottom, and hiked out the next day. 10 miles down, 10 miles back up...my legs felt like stretched out rubber bands for several days after that.
"Olorin I was in the West that is forgotten...."

Truth be told, there's' quite a lot of greenery here despite it being a desert.
There are native plants as well as the imported ones.
And Arizona is criss-crossed with canals that bring water from several rivers, including the Colorado.

In my yard are 7 ficus, 2 grapefruit trees (which are really giant shrubs--all citrus "trees" are really shrubs), 7 Texas Olives, 23 small and medium size shrubs, and another 2 dozen potted plants (vines and more shrubs) that will be planted in October once the heat is over.

And not one of my plants is a cactus, and never will be.

Valkrist wrote:Not to turn you 'green' with envy, Deimos, but we are having a massive downpour here in Vancouver today. Kinda nice, actually. :thumbs_up
I think I prefer the desert to the northwest.
Don't get me wrong, .. I have no love for triple digit temps.
And I ldo like rain and thunderstorms.
It's just that the dewpoint hugs the temperature so much of the time.
I'd be miserable in that humidity.

And as I said previously...we have awesome "winter" weather... Nov thru March temps are 40F nights up to daytimes of 80F

Ah, it's almost 13:30 and the temperature is a balmy 105F. And that's an improvement compared to the last 4 weeks. :-p

Fingolfin wrote:My parents were just in Phoenix visiting my uncle last weekend and they said it was ridiculously hot. They went up to Prescott for a day and she said it dropped to a lovely 20 degrees lower, it was only 89 up there. xP
That would make it 109 in Phoenix.

Temps of 105 or below are fine...(really, you do get used to it and as long as the dew point is low, it's OK.)
But above that, well , up to 110 you grit your teeth, but mornings and evenings it's still OK.

Anything above 110 is bad. And it has hit at least 110 almost everyday for the last 30 days.
116 to 118 (in the shade) has been a frequent occurrence in my locale at least a dozen times.

It was 93 here today but the humidity was reasonably low, especially Illinois-on-the-cusp-of-July standards. It doesn't feel that bad unless the sun is beating down on yet, and then it scorches. I've got to think hats (real hats with brims to keep the sun off all around your head, not those dumbass ball caps that everybody wears) are going to make a comeback in a warmer world.

Olorin wrote:It was 93 here today but the humidity was reasonably low, especially Illinois-on-the-cusp-of-July standards. It doesn't feel that bad unless the sun is beating down on yet, and then it scorches. I've got to think hats (real hats with brims to keep the sun off all around your head, not those dumbass ball caps that everybody wears) are going to make a comeback in a warmer world.
Hats?...way of life out here for at least half the year.
You are so right about the uselessness of BB caps, especially out here.
You can always tell who wore them exclusively when you see guys who are missing parts of their ears.

My hats: one on the right is the "regular".
one on the left w/scarf is hiking and riding (what little riding I do :-p )
Hats.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I'm not near mine or I'd snap a picture, but I bought the biggest, most ridiculous outback hat last summer and it keeps me alive during those day long marching band rehearsals in the dog days of August. I love it. I also bought myself a panama hat in Puerto Rico last month, and I rather enjoy the festive hat look now. :coolsmile
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Monsoon came early! :cheering:

It will stay below 100 (for a few days) with thunderstorms off and on... but out here any rain is good .

Fingolfin wrote:Glad to hear it! In eight hours or so I'm headed south, first to Nashville and then onto Louisiana, where the monsoon never stops. It promises to be hot as Hades down there, so I'll keep you all informed as to how I fare in the southern sun. xP
Not only does it never stop, you routinely have the dew point hovering right around the temperature, unlike Phoenix where it may be 105 but the DP is 65.... Not fun, but tolerable.

You, however, will basically be under one very hot, wet blanket the whole time. :-p
Good luck with that, baby.
(But try to have a good time anyway :thumbs_up )

Pretty amazing...I wouldn't have thought the texture would be as it is.
However, I'm assuming it still tastes like bananas, meaning it's basically banana ice cream (which I'm not too fond of).

It tastes like bananas, but not as strongly as if you just mashed up a bowl of them. A lot of air gets whipped into it in the food processor, which makes the flavor milder. If you don't like bananas, you won't like it, but the texture is what's amazing.

There's also a recipe that adds pineapple and cream, and supposedly tastes pretty much like the Dole Whip they serve at the Disney parks. http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2015/05/ ... ecipe.html

Today (Thanksgiving) 79F and sunny.
Tomorrow's forecast is 78F and sunny.
Saturday's forescast: 76 and sunny..
Sunday's forecast...well, you get the idea :laugh:

So Illinois is getting its first real blast of winter weather. We had freezing rain all night last night and part of today. Everything has about a quarter inch of ice on it. I went over to my cousin's today for a little bit and the roads are totally treacherous. When I came back, it took four tries to get my car into the garage. I'd get about to the top of the drive and the car would start sliding backwards. By the time I got to the foot of the drive, the car had rotated 90°; it was mindboggling. Tonight the temperature is going to be below 0 and tomorrow the high is supposed to be 6°. I'm not even planning on leaving the house. I'm going to have cabin fever by the time the ice melts.

We're have a winter blast here as well....
High 30s to low 40s at night, and mid 60's during the day .. i.e., about 10 degrees below normal for this time of year. Oh yeah, and some rain.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Olorin wrote:Yeah but you pay for that with an inferno from like April to October, right? :crazy2:
Why, whatever gave you that idea? :rolleye:

Yep, definitely a weather see-saw.
The only advantage to having miserably hot, tho' not very humid summers (and typically it's only really hot June-Sept...last May was an aberration ) is that it's still 'normal' weather to drive in ...except for the occasional bit of blowing dust ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W4Cx44XKZ4 :O

I grew up in metro St Louis, so I know whereof you speak when you talk about sleet, ice storms, driving up icy hills, etc.
I can recall watching cars climbing (attempting?) the hilly residential streets and they'd be fish-tailing the whole width of the street, knocking trashcans hither and yon. ...swiiiissshhh, BAM! ....swiiiissshhh, BAM!
Funny to watch, but not funny if you're driving...pretty scary, in fact.

No, I don't miss winter weather one iota.
Given the choice I prefer the inferno 4-5 months a year.
Besides, I can always flee to the mountains, about 2-3 hours away, to escape the heat.
And If I miss seeing snow in winter, there's always those same mountains to visit...and then leave when I've had enough. :laugh:

Olorin wrote:I also grew up in an area that's now considered metro St. Louis but is really just small-town Illinois.
HA-HA pretty funny (or maybe not?) ...... I have not been back there for years, so I don't know how far out "Metro" covers now.

When I was in grade school, St Charles was considered rural, and going to Wentzville was pretty much making a day trip.
I guess St Charles is now a suburb...maybe Wentzville is, too.

Deimos wrote:
Olorin wrote:I also grew up in an area that's now considered metro St. Louis but is really just small-town Illinois.
HA-HA pretty funny (or maybe not?) ...... I have not been back there for years, so I don't know how far out "Metro" covers now.

When I was in grade school, St Charles was considered rural, and going to Wentzville was pretty much making a day trip.
Those are all part of the St. Louis SMSA.

Olorin wrote:
Deimos wrote:

Those are all part of the St. Louis SMSA.

(Had to look up what SMSA meant....)

Wow. That's pretty far and wide ....starting to look like LA, or maybe Chicago metro areas...huge.

jnicktem wrote:-27F here today. Finally jacket weather.

"Jacket"...HA_HA....one in the "Admiral Byrd" style, no doubt. :-p

Return to “Other Discussions”