A good smoke

Hi, everyone:

It's been a long time since I posted, but I hadn't forgotten about the UCF, nor did I lose any love of Tolkien or the movies. Life has had me quite busy the past couple years with family health issues, caregiving, and my Latin teaching position being eliminated. So I spent from the fall of 2013 looking for new positions, finding none, and working every odd job to keep the lights on. This past school year got me back in the door, working both a pt classroom Latin position and a pt online, and all the hard work was rewarded with a ft contract for this coming school year. So after two years, things seem back on track. I know I've missed much on the board, including apparently a new look, but there has not been time to enjoy life beyond obligations until late.

I wanted to share something that I picked up in Heidelberg this past Xmas. My wife is a travel agent, and we managed to get a spectacular deal taking a Viking River Cruise from Basel, Switzerland all the way down the Rhine to Amsterdam, from 12/27-1/3. I've traveled enough that I don't usually buy tons of cheap touristy stuff anymore, and try and get one really nice item. I had no idea what it was going to be until I saw this in the window of a shop in Heidelberg.

The tobacco shop is called Dr. Scheuring's Tabakladen, has been in business since 1890, and has their own spectacular blend (#12). They even ship to the US. My neighbor got me into smoking cigars, but I'm very particular about the flavor, being that I like the infused ones with coffee and amaretto. This blend has that smell, but richer and more aromatic. I wanted a churchwarden pipe for years, but as a prop, but since smoking cigars I wanted one I could use. I was about to leave the store after a second visit, and I had my heart set on getting a German pipe, being that it would be my one item from Germany. I turned around and this Vauen pipe was right there. The name of the pipe on the box is actually different that the pipe itself, as the shopkeeper couldn't find it, and was mortified that he gave me that one. But it's all good, and the smoke is cool and very Hobbit'ish. I usually only have maybe one cigar or pipe smoke a week, being on Saturdays and only when the weather is nice, which in Florida is from October to May.

So if you don't mind my indulgence, I'll share a photo of Heidelberg the day we were there, with the shop being just past the church you see down below.

Cheers,

Guy
omnia quae antehoc facta sunt atque iterum factura

'All this has happened before and will happen again'[/font]

Re: A good smoke

Legion! Good to hear from you again, my wayward friend, and I'm happy to hear your life seems to be back on track now. :)

That Viking cruise sounds pretty amazing. I've travelled through most of western and central Europe, including the Rhine Valley, but I've never done one of those cruises. One of these days I'll convince my wife. ;)

Not a smoker myself, but I've always appreciated the exquisite worksmanship that goes into those Vauen pipes. If it were not for the price of one being close to one month's mortgage payment on my house, I'd try and hunt one down. As it stands, I'll make do with Noble Collection's mildly subpar versions. Besides, for just a prop sitting on a shelf that won't be smoked, they do just fine. I can only guess that buying one of those Vauen pipes at the source, like you did, can only be cheaper than what some folks charge on the internet. Very happy for your special acquisition and hope that you enjoy it for years to come.

Stop by more often. :thumbs_up
This Space for Rent

Re: A good smoke

Hi Legion! It is great to see you here! :big_wave:

That picture is beautiful, it sounds like you had an amazing trip. The pipe is something else too, what a unique find! :coolsmile

I'm glad to here that your teaching career is back on track as well! :thumbs_up
"Remember, the force will be with you, always."

Return to “Other Discussions”