Go Back  Ultimate Collectors' Forums > General Conversations > Star Trek & Star Wars
User Name
Password
Register FAQChatBox FullDonate Members List Calendar Search New posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012
Emissary of the Valar

Default Re: Pure Star Trek Discussion

I just watched ST VI. I've been developing a yen to watch it for some reason over the last several days, so tonight I watched it. I have to say, I liked it more this time than I ever have before. Apparently it's the sort of movie that takes about 20 years to grow on me, LOL. The goofy parts of it bother me less, I suppose because after all this time I'm so used to them, and this allows the rest of it to hang and work together that much better.

That said, I noted a couple of new problems I'd never noticed before. One is that when Colonel West comes in to explain the plans to retrieve Kirk and McCoy from the Klingons, his big paper charts clearly depict an assault on Rura Penthe. This is several scenes before RP is even announced as the place where Kirk and McCoy will serve their sentences. A very astute guess on West's part? Perhaps.

The other problem follows from this one. When the Federation president has his video call with Azetbur, the Klingon chancellor, the plans for the invasion of Rura Penthe are still sitting on their easel in the background! If Azetbur was taking this call on a very big monitor, she'd see that they were planning an invasion of RP.

-----------=======[Profile Information]=======-----------

My Collection: UC LE Anduril, Helm of Sauron, Miniature Shards of Narsil; Noble Collection Miniature Sting, Miniature Anduril, and the One Ring; Danbury Mint Barad Dur and Minas Tirith; Weta Rivendell; plus a whole lotta Sideshow LOTR

Old 02-08-2012
Texas Ranger

I've always liked ST VI, it was always in the middle of my rankings from best to worst.

My Collection: LOTR/Hobbit: LFK, LFK Scabbards, Strider's Elven Dagger, Ringwraith Sword, Glamdring, Blue Scabbard, Anduril UL, Anduril Scabbard, Strider's Ranger Sword, Ranger Sword Scabbard, Sword of the Witchking, Witchking Dagger, Herugrim, Sauramon's Staff, GtG Staff, Radagast's Staff, Gimli's Helm, Gondorian Helm, Isildur's Helm, Elendil's Helm, Gondorian Shield, Walking Axe, Battle Axe, Sting, Sting Scabbard, Uruk-hai Scimitar, Orcrist Kit Rae: Sword of Vaelen (Elexorien, 1st sword), Sword of Darkness(Kilgorin), Mithrodin, Exotath, Avoloch, Ellexdrow War Spear, Avaquar, Isis Dagger, Medusa Dagger, Umethar, Nasek, Tibetan Spirit Dagger, Archeros, Death's Head Dagger, Talisman Dagger, Blackjet Thrower (3 set) Gil Hibben: 2000 Griffyn, 2001 Scorpion, 2002 Tiger Shark, 2003 Eye of Drakonus, 2004 Centurion, 2005 The Titan, 2007 The Immortal, 1990 Reissue Silver Shadow, 1991 Reissue Double Shadow UC Legends in Steel Series: Round Table Dagger, Crusader Dagger, Dagger of Gawain, Pendragon Dagger, Lancelot's Dagger, Knight's Dagger, Sorcerer's Dagger Other items: UC Sword of Bowen (Dragonheart), Marto Excalibur. Noble Wand: Severus Snape. Knives I Carry: S&W Black OPs, Partially Serrated Tanto, SOG Aegis Tanto, partially serrated. Current as of 1/9/14- I Think :)

Old 02-09-2012
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
I just watched ST VI. I've been developing a yen to watch it for some reason over the last several days, so tonight I watched it. I have to say, I liked it more this time than I ever have before. Apparently it's the sort of movie that takes about 20 years to grow on me, LOL. The goofy parts of it bother me less, I suppose because after all this time I'm so used to them, and this allows the rest of it to hang and work together that much better.

That said, I noted a couple of new problems I'd never noticed before. One is that when Colonel West comes in to explain the plans to retrieve Kirk and McCoy from the Klingons, his big paper charts clearly depict an assault on Rura Penthe. This is several scenes before RP is even announced as the place where Kirk and McCoy will serve their sentences. A very astute guess on West's part? Perhaps.

The other problem follows from this one. When the Federation president has his video call with Azetbur, the Klingon chancellor, the plans for the invasion of Rura Penthe are still sitting on their easel in the background! If Azetbur was taking this call on a very big monitor, she'd see that they were planning an invasion of RP.
That's probably my favorite ST movie of all of them!

Speaking of ST movies, have they been released in Blu Ray?

My Collection: Museum Collection Glamdring & Sting, Limited Edition Anduril & Narsil, Hadhafang, Minas Morgul, Minas Tirith, The Argonath, Smeagol, Phial of Galadriel, and The One Ring in Tungsten

Old 02-09-2012
Texas Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by harristotle View Post
That's probably my favorite ST movie of all of them!

Speaking of ST movies, have they been released in Blu Ray?
Yes they have, I own the set of the TNG era movies and they look fantastic, but I do not have TOS era movies, as they used the theatrical releases, not the director's cuts.

My Collection: LOTR/Hobbit: LFK, LFK Scabbards, Strider's Elven Dagger, Ringwraith Sword, Glamdring, Blue Scabbard, Anduril UL, Anduril Scabbard, Strider's Ranger Sword, Ranger Sword Scabbard, Sword of the Witchking, Witchking Dagger, Herugrim, Sauramon's Staff, GtG Staff, Radagast's Staff, Gimli's Helm, Gondorian Helm, Isildur's Helm, Elendil's Helm, Gondorian Shield, Walking Axe, Battle Axe, Sting, Sting Scabbard, Uruk-hai Scimitar, Orcrist Kit Rae: Sword of Vaelen (Elexorien, 1st sword), Sword of Darkness(Kilgorin), Mithrodin, Exotath, Avoloch, Ellexdrow War Spear, Avaquar, Isis Dagger, Medusa Dagger, Umethar, Nasek, Tibetan Spirit Dagger, Archeros, Death's Head Dagger, Talisman Dagger, Blackjet Thrower (3 set) Gil Hibben: 2000 Griffyn, 2001 Scorpion, 2002 Tiger Shark, 2003 Eye of Drakonus, 2004 Centurion, 2005 The Titan, 2007 The Immortal, 1990 Reissue Silver Shadow, 1991 Reissue Double Shadow UC Legends in Steel Series: Round Table Dagger, Crusader Dagger, Dagger of Gawain, Pendragon Dagger, Lancelot's Dagger, Knight's Dagger, Sorcerer's Dagger Other items: UC Sword of Bowen (Dragonheart), Marto Excalibur. Noble Wand: Severus Snape. Knives I Carry: S&W Black OPs, Partially Serrated Tanto, SOG Aegis Tanto, partially serrated. Current as of 1/9/14- I Think :)

Old 02-10-2012
Emissary of the Valar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeCollector View Post
Yes they have, I own the set of the TNG era movies and they look fantastic, but I do not have TOS era movies, as they used the theatrical releases, not the director's cuts.
Ditto.....

My Collection: UC LE Anduril, Helm of Sauron, Miniature Shards of Narsil; Noble Collection Miniature Sting, Miniature Anduril, and the One Ring; Danbury Mint Barad Dur and Minas Tirith; Weta Rivendell; plus a whole lotta Sideshow LOTR

Old 02-10-2012
Flame of Udun

Still clinging to my DVDs.

I'd love to upgrade, but not until they deign to release ST:TMP and ST:TWOK Director's Cuts.

My Collection: UC: Sting & Scabbard, Glamdring with White & Blue Scabbards, Sword of the Witch-king, Ringwraith Sword, Strider's Ranger Sword & Scabbard, LE Shards of Narsil, Narsil, LE Anduril & Scabbard, Hadhafang, Fighting Knives of Legolas & Scabbards, Elven Knife of Strider, Sword of Isildur, MC Sword of Samwise, Sword of Boromir, Sword of Eowyn, Dagger of the Witch-king, Gimli's Battle Axe, Gimli's Bearded Axe, Gimli's Walking Axe, High Elven Warrior Sword, Uruk-hai Scimitar, Herugrim, Orcrist, Elendil's Helm, Gimli's Helm, Sauron's Helm, High Elven Warrior Helm, Gondor Infantry Helm, Isildur's Helm, War Helm of the Witch-king, Sauron's Gauntlet, Staff of Saruman, Staff of Gandalf the White, Staff of Gandalf the Grey, High Elven Warrior Shield, 2nd Age Gondor Shield, MC Sting, Sword of Kili, Sword of Fili; NC: One Ring 18k, Narya, Nenya, Vilya, Ring of Barahir, Fellowship Brooch, Gandalf the White Brooch, Crown of King Elessar, Thranduil's Ring, The Evenstar, Elrond's Headdress, Deed of Contract, Bilbo's Pipe, Aragorn's Pipe, Gandalf's Pipe, Phial of Galadriel, Other: LE Lothlorien Bow of Legolas, Legolas' Archery Bracers, Boromir's Bracers of Gondor, Boromir's Horn of Gondor, Gauntlets of the Witchking, Scroll of Isildur, Thrain's Map, The Key to Erebor, Staff of Radagast, One Ring with Elvish runes and Silver Chain, Thorin's Ring, Redbook of Westmarch, Smaug's Claw, Bilbo's Inkwell, Lembas, Sam's Spice Box, Bilbo's Mithril Shirt, Mirkwood Cell Key, Thror's Ring, Boromir's Shield

Old 03-24-2012
Emissary of the Valar

Interesting interview with Brent Spiner:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/03/23/excl...nchise-future/

He attributes Nemesis' failure even to open big to, basically, franchise burnout, which undoubtedly is at least partly true. I have always felt, though, that opening between Harry Potter and The Two Towers, it got lost and never had a chance.

Old 03-24-2012
Texas Ranger

I do agree with him that they should have gone further in the future with the Trek timeline

Old 03-24-2012
Emissary of the Valar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeCollector View Post
I do agree with him that they should have gone further in the future with the Trek timeline
Further in the future, near-term, such as with Riker's command, or a hundred or more years in the future? I always thought they should have done the latter, say, set it in the 26th Century. Instead, we got a prequel that only lasted four seasons, and didn't really live up to the legacy until its last year.

IF Star Trek ever comes back to TV, and in spite of its history I think that's a big IF given the increasing cutthroat nature of the ratings game, I think they should explore the prime timeline, post-Romulus. That's a setting that seethes with potential for interesting stories.

In spite of all the optimism among fans, I find myself doubting Trek will return to TV any time soon. Look at Fringe...fantastic show, high production values, intriguing stories and plot arcs, great acting...but very expensive and limping along the bottom of the ratings heap. I'll be very surprised if it gets a fifth season. I think the only reason Fox hasn't canceled it yet this time is that everything else is doing poorly on Friday night.

I think a much better avenue for Trek to return to TV is as a lengthy mini-series on one of the premium channels. They can give it a budget that one of the broadcast networks never would, and with only 10 or so episodes to produce a year, they can make them all good episodes by coming up with a story arc, fleshing out the major components of it, and having a good idea what each ep will be about, prior to starting shooting any of them. That way, they wouldn't find themselves in tight corners where they have to crank out dreck to fill up a timeslot.

At one time, the logical home for such an incarnation would have been SyFy, but I've been hearing bad things about it lately, that it's veering away from sci fi and getting into reality TV. My personal preference would be HBO, since they did tremendous jobs with Deadwood and Game of Thrones.

Old 03-24-2012
Texas Ranger

I think a Showtime/HBO length 10-ish season of Star Trek would be perfect, you have lots of time to write a good arcing storing with nice cliffhangers to pull you in next year. You wouldn't/shouldn't deal with filler episodes like "Shades of Grey" etc, everything would be meaningful to the story.

As far as when should it take place.. I would tend to agree with you to go further in the future, but not too far, we don't want like the year 3000 or something. But being that I have the hugest, and I am not ashamed to admit it, man crush on Riker, I would love to see the Titan, although Riker is getting up there in age, but he isn't older than Patrick Stewart was, and I would love to see Picard as Admiral.. and as you mention, with the HUGE teaser (I say teaser because it wasnt the focus of the movie and has huge repercussions) of the destruction of Romulus... that opens the floodgates of potential disasters and plots and wars, etc. Do the Remans come back, do the Klingons try to take over Romulan territory, do we see the Cardassians again... HUGE potentials here that JJ Abrams came up with. Actually I am more interested in what happens with Romulus than I am interested in the next "Star Trek: Jersey Shore" movie.