PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the Middle-earth foil map

Valkrist
11-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Hey guys,

A few years ago, during the time when the movies were coming out, Sideshow Collectibles released three versions of the map of Middle-earth as found in Tolkien's books. One was a paper poster print, the second one was a cloth map (which I have,) and the third was done in gold foil.

I recently saw this foil map framed and on display at a friend's place and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, this item is so old it is no longer listed for sale on the WB LOTR collectibles site. In fact, it seems pretty much gone all over the place. I won't use ebay, so I was wondering if anyone had a clue as to where I could find and buy this map. The only website I found advertising it is this one but I have no idea what they're like. Anyone ever order from Posterplanet? http://posterplanet.net/new/lordoftheringsgoldmapduofexfoilposter.htm

Only thing that's throwing me off is that the photo of the map on that link doesn't look quite right. The ocean areas of the map are supposed to look textured. Have a look here for an accurate look (click on the thumbnail for a bigger pic) http://www.posters.ws/13445/lord_of_rings_movies/lord_of_rings_map_of_middle_earth_foil_poster_with _metallic_ink

Before anyone says it, the posters for sale on that second link are no longer available.

Anyhow, if anyone knows which map I'm talking about and knows where I can pick one up (must ship to Canada,) please be kind enough to let me know. :thumbs_up

BladeCollector
11-26-2010, 12:36 AM
I'll keep a look out for you buddy

Arwyniel
11-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I have this framed above our couch and it's gorgeous. It's a golden, coppery color and I love it. When Daniel Reeve shows off his portfolio, this is one piece he brings out to show his art in merchandising form and says perhaps there is some mithril in it, lol.
I hope you can locate one.

Rough666
11-28-2010, 09:31 PM
This may be what you seek. Ships worldwide.
http://cgi.ebay.com/LORD-RINGS-TRILOGY-GOLD-MAP-FOIL-DUFEX-POSTER-/390260068738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5add501182

Valkrist
11-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Yep, that's the same map from Posterplanet, the first link I posted. Strange that their ebay ad says $19.99 and their own website says $24.99. I won't order from ebay, but a five dollar difference is not that big of a deal. :P

Deimos
11-29-2010, 12:54 AM
I know it's kind of crass, but why not ask Arwyniel what she paid for hers?

If it was anywhere close to $25, the one at PosterPlanet might be the same one.
But if it was a whole lot more, well, maybe the PP is a cheaper version.
Not necessarily a knock-off, just not the "MC version", if you will.

Valkrist
11-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Good point, but as far as I know, only one version of this foil map exists. I can't see the point of anyone going through the trouble to make a knock-off version of something that's not that expensive to begin with. My only concern really is that the picture of the one at Posterplanet is not an exact match for what the map looks like in actuality, making me a little wary of ordering it without being sure.

Arwyniel
11-29-2010, 05:31 PM
From the tiny picture in that auction, it looks the same as mine. I think I paid $30 for mine at allposters.com back in the day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Adora40258/IMG_16322.jpg

Valkrist
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Yep, your photo looks exactly like my friend's. Like I said, I was just wary of ordering because (and I'm sure you can all see this) the ocean part of the map looks different from your pic to the one on the website.

Guess I'll have to take the risk since the price seems about right and there's no other known foil map around.

Arwyniel
11-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Ah, I see what you mean now. I didn't really notice the difference before you pointed it out. I wish I could remember if that's how the stock photo looked when I bought mine.

Fingolfin
11-29-2010, 09:40 PM
That looks very tempting!

Olorin
11-29-2010, 09:47 PM
From the tiny picture in that auction, it looks the same as mine. I think I paid $30 for mine at allposters.com back in the day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Adora40258/IMG_16322.jpg

That looks very nice framed!

Arwyniel
11-30-2010, 05:16 PM
That looks very nice framed!

Thanks! :)

Fingolfin
12-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Say Arwyniel, how much did it cost to have yours framed like that?

edit: Also, forgot to ask: Roughly, what are the dimensions of the foil map?

Arwyniel
12-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Say Arwyniel, how much did it cost to have yours framed like that?

Anytime I have something framed it always comes out to around $100. It is double matted (a coppery metallic matte and a dark brown suede matte.) Plus the very large frame.
Framed mine measures 39 X 31.

BladeCollector
12-16-2010, 11:20 AM
The more I follow this thread the more I want to find me a nice map of middle earth poster...it would look nice displayed next to my LOTR collection

Fingolfin
12-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking the same thing, BC. I have a spot for it, along with some other maps from middle earth I'd like to buy and frame. I'm thinking about putting a wall shelf or two under the maps and displaying some sideshow stuff that corresponds with the respecting map. :coolsmile

Fingolfin
12-18-2010, 01:18 AM
So Val, did you end up getting the one from Poster Planet?

Valkrist
12-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Not yet. With all the finances juggling at this time of year with gifts and bill payments, all this leisure stuff has to wait. Thing is, the map isn't that expensive, and it's not that easy to find, so I think I'd better move fast on it... especially with other people here noticing how nice it is and thinking of getting one also! :huh:

Fingolfin
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
UCForums is just going to buy up the world's remaining stock on these!

dpegasusm
12-27-2010, 01:59 AM
along with the map there was also a two towers foil poster that is very nice. i have both in my collection and my map looks exactly like Arwyniel's picture.

Deimos
12-27-2010, 02:21 AM
along with the map there was also a two towers foil poster that is very nice. i have both in my collection and my map looks exactly like Arwyniel's picture.

ummmm...welll.....dpeg....are you going to post a picture of the TT foil poster so we can all get a look-see???? I mean, I for one would like to see it....lots! :)

Valkrist
12-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Ditto.

By the way, I did order my map and it's on the way now. Fingers crossed that it's the right one as the description was very vague, yet it was the only one I could find for sale outside of ebay.

dpegasusm
12-28-2010, 02:29 AM
Yep. Here it is the two towers poster :)

dpegasusm
12-28-2010, 02:32 AM
sorry for the double post - but here is my foil map too if that helps. and sorry about the photo quality -- iPhone sucks at taking pictures :(

Deimos
12-28-2010, 02:44 AM
That is nice! :thumbs_up

I don't suppose you have one from ROTK....since you didn't mention it.

Or was it that one was never made for the third part?

dpegasusm
12-28-2010, 11:23 AM
Never made. there was a legolas foil one which i wasn't too impressed with but that was all. the TT and the Map were the only good ones.

Fingolfin
12-28-2010, 11:46 PM
Looks cool. One day, if I can find one of these when I don't need to save every penny I can find, I'll buy the map. I have a nice place for above the chair in my game/display room. :thumbs_up

Valkrist
01-16-2011, 03:59 PM
The map finally arrived and it is indeed the correct one. It looks beautiful and if anyone is thinking of snapping one up, Poster Planet gets the *thumbs up* from me. :thumbs_up

Now to go frame shopping. :)

Thranduil
01-16-2011, 08:34 PM
The map finally arrived and it is indeed the correct one. It looks beautiful and if anyone is thinking of snapping one up, Poster Planet gets the *thumbs up* from me. :thumbs_up

Now to go frame shopping. :)

Concerning frame shopping. It's easy to get sucked into pure convenience and head to Micheals, Jo Anne, or a framing shop. I'd suggest (if available) an antiques store, a flea market, etc, even Walmart. There are unbelievable frames out there attached to artwork prints that sell for next to nothing. Sometimes art galleries are selling pieces with frames and matting worth far more than what they are asking.
Just a suggestion:thumbs_up
And don't neglect looking at framed mirrors either.

Deimos
01-16-2011, 09:08 PM

Now to go frame shopping.

Poster Planet may get a sudden run on the foil Map of Middle Earth.
I'm seriously thinking of getting one now that Val was willing to play giunea pig to see if the poster was really the right one. Thanks Val! :)

Concerning frame shopping. It's easy to get sucked into pure convenience and head to Micheals, Jo Anne, or a framing shop. I'd suggest (if available) an antiques store, a flea market, etc, even Walmart. There are unbelievable frames out there attached to artwork prints that sell for next to nothing. Sometimes art galleries are selling pieces with frames and matting worth far more than what they are asking.
Just a suggestion:thumbs_up
And don't neglect looking at framed mirrors either.

I've long practiced that. And the antique frames are likely to be real wood, so "distressing" one, if it's not already naturally distressed, is possible, unlike trying to work with the newer frames that are mostly composite/ manufactured/engineered wood material.

BladeCollector
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I am seriously thinking about picking one of these one... just gotta figure out where to put it... the walls of a sword collector are rarely ever bare!

Valkrist
01-17-2011, 02:39 AM
Acutally Thranduil, I stopped by a frame store at the mall earlier today and looked at what they had. Lots of different stuff to pick from, though of course all of it had art in and was more expensive than I was willing to pay, but I got some good ideas just from browsing. My gf suggested the same thing you did (go to a store with cheap art in the frame and buy it just for the frame,) but then I noticed this place also does some nice custom framing. It will be about $60 for the frame, plus $20 if I want a glass front (which I do.)

Now I just have to decide if I want to go with the antique gold paint wood frame that my friend has, or a nice black frame (wood or metal) like Arwyniel has.

Deimos, glad to be of service, and BC, I've got the perfect place picked out already (one of only two walls in my living and dining areas that don't have swords on it.) :D

Arwyniel
01-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Now I just have to decide if I want to go with the antique gold paint wood frame that my friend has, or a nice black frame (wood or metal) like Arwyniel has.

I *think* mine's wood. I picked it because it's a dark brown with black fibers and black trim. The black trim kind of reminded me of the mountains on the map.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/Adora40258/IMG3309.jpg

Fingolfin
01-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Well I may just have to jump on the bandwagon now. Good luck with your frame shopping, Val. :thumbs_up

Valkrist
01-21-2011, 02:36 AM
Picked out a really nice custom frame today, with black matting, Should be ready in about a week. Both the girl that was helping me out and two customers that were in the store commented on how beautiful the map looked. I think it will look awesome when finished so I'll take a pic for you guys when it's up on the wall. :)

Thranduil
01-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Sounds good! Can't wait to see it.:):thumbs_up