PDA

View Full Version : Two Original Museum Replicas swords

jhilde
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Unfortunately, I have to trim down my collection--I have one of the original first five offered by Museum Replicas just after they were formed, the French wide bladed war sword. If you all remember, these have an extra wide tang, made from Krupp 55 steel by Del Tin in Italy, well before the manufacturing went to Windless steelcrafts. Blade is in perfect condition, well tempered and straight. Sword has been taken down, checked for blade/tang alignment and then re-assembled with epoxy to seal and strengthen the grip, guard and pommel. While dis-assembled, the guard and pommel were heated in the oven and then given an antique patina using the Plum Brown from Birtchwood Casey. Sword was then re-assembled with the end of the tang peened flat to match original construction. It comes with a complete custom scabboard made from thin wooden panels covered in leather with leather trim and a crest for decoration. I'm asking for $200 plus shipping--please pm me if interested--John

jhilde
03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I neglected to mention that both of these swords, the French sword and the 14th century, are still in the original condition concerning the edge of the blades. They have not been sharpened so it is up to the buyer to decide if they get a cutting edge or not. Iv'e had two of the Catalonian swords from Museum Replicas, sharpened one of them and actually chopped down a sapling with it and used it regularly to trim bushes. They take a keen edge, are very tough and strong and are well-tempered. So send me an email and we'll go from there-------
jhilde@winamac.tv

Thranduil
03-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Good prices for those, I'm sure someone will snatch them up.

jhilde
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey there--I think I remember you from awhile back--I haven't been very active on this forum for a couple of years---I'm thinking these two swords will appeal to the re-enactors and the hard core Ren Faire crowd due to the proper weight, balance and that both are totally " battle ready" along with two very unique scabboards. I agree with you, for the price, each is a lot of sword. I just shipped my last Catalonian to Washington state from northern Indiana and the shipping was surprisingly cheap, so it is a very good deal--------take care and thanks for the comments-----John

jhilde
03-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I am usually pretty bad at taking photos, but loved the colored highlights in this one and forgot to include it above--humor me---

jhilde
03-12-2010, 06:30 AM
How about both for $300 plus shipping---the French broadsword and the 14th century? Gentlemen. this is truely a great deal and very fair, two excellent swords, battle ready no less, with custom scabboards. I have the box and packing ready, send me a cashiers check for $325 and your address and I'll ship them immediately----------John
jhilde@winamac.tv

Darlak
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
...and used it regularly to trim bushes

Hahahahahaha

jhilde
03-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Darlak---not sure I understand your point. We lived in a retirees mobil home park for about two years in southern California and a lot of the landscaping were small ornamental evergreen trees. I could start at the ground out about 2 feet from the trunk and with an upward cut, trim the scraggly branches on that side, then move around the tree until it looked like a small tidy Christmas tree. It actually worked pretty well. The Mexican landscapers thought it was pretty cool-----the point I was making was that these Museum Replica swords can take an edge and hold it and I was commenting on the toughness of the blade material. What point are you making?

Jamanticus
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Darlak---not sure I understand your point. We lived in a retirees mobil home park for about two years in southern California and a lot of the landscaping were small ornamental evergreen trees. I could start at the ground out about 2 feet from the trunk and with an upward cut, trim the scraggly branches on that side, then move around the tree until it looked like a small tidy Christmas tree. It actually worked pretty well. The Mexican landscapers thought it was pretty cool-----the point I was making was that these Museum Replica swords can take an edge and hold it and I was commenting on the toughness of the blade material. What point are you making?

I think his point was just one of humor. It's funny, using a sword to trim bushes. Don't think he meant anything malicious by it.

EDIT: And if I had the funds, I'd buy both in a second! For anyone on the fence about these, back when Museum Replicas was first formed, the swords they made were nothing short of amazing. These are nothing like those Windlass swords that MR sells now- these are worlds better... So jump on them while you have the chance!

Darlak
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
I did in no way intend to insult you or anything, just gave me quite a laugh when I read it =P

Heck, I once used my katana as a machete to clear the path down to our old overgrown boathouse when we got ourselves a boat some one and a half years ago, boy did I have fun =)

jhilde
03-12-2010, 10:19 PM
And the Katana worked great didn't it? I understand completely why so many on this forum are LOTR fans, they are some of the most beautiful swords Iv'e ever seen and great movies. I'm in my mid sixties and when I started wanting a real honest to god sword, there weren't any. Just horribly cheap junk from Spain--so bad you didn't even want to hang them on a wall. Then, out of nowhere, comes Museum Replicas, an answer to a prayer, real quality steel, actually tempered, with steel guards and pommels with wood grips wrapped in leather, and, they even went as far as cutting the tang very wide for strength. Unbelieviable--I bought four of the first five they came out with and probabely 20 or so more over the years--most have been sold or given as gifts, but Iv'e kept the Mercenary, the German Broadsword, and an Italian short sword [ a gift from my brother ]---and, my feathers weren't ruffled,-- it was a true story--here are a couple photos of current faves---ohn

jhilde
03-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I took another long look at this sword today, it really is a cool sword--as Iv'e already mentioned, this was one of the first five ever offered by Museum Replicas--Iv'e had this sword about 25 years or more--never been sharpened, no scratches, never even in a pretend sword fight--heavy duty cool scabboard goes with it--wide tang, battle ready, by Del Tin [ Italy ]--$125 total, shipped anywhere in the country jhilde@winamac.tv

jhilde
03-19-2010, 07:49 PM
all the photos I have at present--

jhilde
03-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Don't know why, but for some reason the photos are not attaching to the thread--please check the first five at the beginning of the whole thread, Two Swords---decent shots of the guard, grip and pommel and the scabboard--send me a check for $125, and I'll ship it to you anywhere here in the states--if the shipping is over $25, I'll pay the difference so the total cost to the buyer is $125--

Darlak
03-20-2010, 04:28 AM
Umm, cheap junk from Spain? If you want what can be called REAL swords, go to Toledo, Spain. That's where you find real swords, not mass produced replicas. Even if they're "museum" replicas.

Jamanticus
03-20-2010, 05:27 AM
I've seen quite a few swords that were made in Toledo and yet were complete dosh. 15 years ago, Noble Collection very prominently touted that their swords and daggers were all made in Toledo out of the finest materials, etc... And they still do.

I remember looking at one of their gaudy swords disassembled years ago. The tang extended a full 1 inch into the handle and then ended. Just a stub... the blade must've been held in with epoxy when assembled...Ick!

So even the great province of Toledo isn't without its mass-producing, not-good-quality sword makers.

In any case, these Museum Replicas (name of a company, not a description of the quality of the swords) pieces he's selling are made by the sword makers at the Del Tin company, in Italy.

And they are not a bad sword maker by any means.

So...Long post short: Museum Replicas is the company which sold him the swords to begin with, and the swords themselves were made in Italy by Del Tin, and were nicely made. And even though Toledo, Spain is legendary for its swords, there seem to be some who use the prestigious name of the place to make poor-quality pieces seem much better than they really are.

Darlak
03-20-2010, 07:35 AM
There are loads of crap coming from spain, alot of them fronting with using "toledo steel" and stuff like that. But there are also honest blacksmiths making fully functional swords now, I have one myself that I picked up there, and it's anything but crap, I can assure you of that.

jhilde
03-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Years ago, my younger brother had the oportunity to travel around Europe for several months and he said Spain was an edged weapons lovers paradise--small stores here and there through-out the country that sold nothing but swords, knives and daggers. He says it was great, also, great castles. I have no problem with Spain, the Phillipines, Japan, India or any other country that has exported inexpensive edged weapons in the past, but the fact remains that some of the early wallhangers had the word Spain stamped on them. I'm certain that there are makers in Spain that produce swords that are every bit as good, if not better, than Museum Replicas, Albion, or Jody Sampson, Cold Steel etc, I just have not seen them advertised as being availiable anywhere. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just feel that when it comes to swords, for the cost, Museum Replica builds and sells a pretty decent representation of what a real sword used to be, correct materials of construction, tempered, and in most cases, assembled solidly. I can not afford a sword from Jody Sampson or Albion or I'd have one. I will admit also that a large part of the attraction to this line of weapons is the fact that they could actually be used. If my mention of Spanish wallhangers has offended anyone, I never meant it as an affront to Spain, the Spanish or Spain's swordmaking abilities--------John

jhilde
03-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Darlak--I see from your description of your collection, that along with the LOTR items you also mention Marto and some other older swords--you also say that you don't have quite enough--I'm thinking if you held say, a well made replica of a 12th or 13th century French broadsword in your hand, it might put you just a little closer to having a great representation of at least three or four of the current respected makers in your collection--What say you-------------John

Jamanticus
03-20-2010, 11:44 PM
There are loads of crap coming from spain, alot of them fronting with using "toledo steel" and stuff like that. But there are also honest blacksmiths making fully functional swords now, I have one myself that I picked up there, and it's anything but crap, I can assure you of that.

I fully agree with you that there are fine swordsmiths in Toledo.

I just wanted to make sure you didn't think badly of the swords Jhilde was offering :)

Del Tin's a great company, still making swords today. Although they've gone up significantly in price.

Darlak
03-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Heh, well, what can you say, you can never get enough. I'm gonna have to pass on the offer I'm afraid, savign up for so much else atm hehe.

And I did in no way mean to say that museum replicas were bad, just that they weren't the only good swormakers out there.

jhilde
03-26-2010, 11:02 PM
To tell you the truth, I'd love to have one of the Atlantean swords from Albion/Jody Sampson, but I just can't spare that kind of serious cash--My problem is I also have a small, but very select collection of rifles and a couple very nice handguns and when I think of spending a sizeable chunk of money on a sword that just hangs on the wall compared to something I can use to harvest a boar or coyote--well, you can see what I'm saying--hard to justify better than a grand for a sword when it will also buy a new Ruger #1--It's looking like I'm going to have to list these two on E-bay--------John

jhilde
03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
And Darlak, I understand that there are probabely several makers turning out a better sword than MR, Iv'e just had good luck with the one's Iv'e gotten from them and I feel they are priced fairly--and this next comment will likely get me thrown off this forum for life, but I think a replica sword should be capable of being used as swords were actually used so cast metal guards and pommels and rat tail tangs should sell for maybe $50 to $60 bucks rather than $200 plus or more. Honestly though, sooner or later I'll have to have Strider's sword, Iv'e never seen one with better proportions anywhere--best looking sword in the whole LOTR collection. Does United Cutlery make the best one availiable?---John

jhilde
03-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Also, can any of you tell me, do the LOTR copies have a tang into the guard and grip or do they have a long bolt welded to the end of the blade, and can this line of swords be taken apart easily?--------John

Jamanticus
03-27-2010, 12:32 PM
And Darlak, I understand that there are probabely several makers turning out a better sword than MR, Iv'e just had good luck with the one's Iv'e gotten from them and I feel they are priced fairly--and this next comment will likely get me thrown off this forum for life, but I think a replica sword should be capable of being used as swords were actually used so cast metal guards and pommels and rat tail tangs should sell for maybe $50 to $60 bucks rather than $200 plus or more. Honestly though, sooner or later I'll have to have Strider's sword, Iv'e never seen one with better proportions anywhere--best looking sword in the whole LOTR collection. Does United Cutlery make the best one availiable?---John

Yes, United Cutlery makes the best Strider Sword available. Unless you've got $4,000 lying around, in which case you can buy one made by Peter Lyon himself (still one spot left! :crazy:)

And it seems these days that functional swords, let alone really well-crafted functional swords, have really gone up in price. Even the relatively mediocre ones like Windlass Steelcrafts are going for $250-300 a pop, not to mention the really good ones like Arms and Armor swords, which go into the thousands.

I'm not sure on ease of disassembly on the UC LotR swords, but most of them do have tangs extending from the guard to pommel, but they're ultra-thin and just welded on. When you hold some of them, you can almost feel the strain on the weld joint :'(

Darlak
03-27-2010, 04:22 PM
From what I've heard UC swords shouldn't be taken apart, for several reasons. It's hard, it's easy to break things, and when assembled again, the sword gets all flimsy.

I do understand how you think that simple non functional replica swords shouldn't be so costy, but remember, they're not made for chopping up your neighbour, they're made to look nice on your wall =P

Besides, any functional swords you may have, will still most likely be hanging on the wall anyway.

And yeah, I love Jody Samson's swords too, he died though, not too long ago, unfortunately. I didn't get the chance to get one of his swords, and they're only selling the rest of his swords to people that have already bought one or more of Jody's swords before.

jhilde
04-01-2010, 09:46 PM
At this point, I just have the four Museum Replica pieces and the two I'm selling I had dis-assembled, checked for straightness and then re-assembled with epoxy and flatened out the tangs as before, the pommel on the Mercenary should just unscrew, but it's on very tight and the sword lines up well so I haven't bothered. On the other hand, the German war sword takes down very easily so I'll post photos of how these things are really built. When you see the width of these tangs at the point where they go into the guard and grip, you'll see why they are capable of trimming trees and/or bad guys--you are right though, even the strong or as they say " battle ready" swords spend most of their time hanging on the wall looking good. I'd have many more, but when deer season rolls around I'm afraid I head for the gun cabinet. I suppose I could take a broadsword deer hunting, but I'd have to be very stealthy-----John

jhilde
04-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Tell you what I'm going to do--the 14th century sword has a nice scabboard and it's a very good sword, but I'll admit it's not very eye catching as is, a little too boring. So, I have a couple of ideas on how to turn it into a looker and make it attractive in a business-sort-of-way and even after all this labor, I'll sell both and ship em for $225. So be patient and I'll work some magic and rerun the ad with new photos----I'm thinking black grip instead of brown, how about blackened furniture, guard and pommel, raised center grip area or ridges for a better grip? Wire wrapped grip? I'm open to any and all suggestions and volunteering ideas doesn't mean you have to buy them, your simply helping a fellow forum member sell them. So come on, this is the Internet so I'm expecting some cool suggestions-------John