PDA

View Full Version : 300 Replicas!

Grey Pilgrim
05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't know whether you guys have seen them yet or not, but they look rather promising! They're manufactured by NECA, I don't know much about NECA in their quality of replicas for weapons though. The only works I know of theirs are the LOTR figures that looked pretty cool...

The only thing that really bugs me is that the official replica shield and helmet are fiberglass.:P I did however manage to find some steel versions though, and unlike most unofficial replicas, they look really nice...I mean REALLY nice.
PM me for the site if interested, or post in the thread for me to PM it to you...:cheers:

Thorin
05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I have seen these floating around as well. A number of sites carry them, though like you said, I don't know what kind of quality they are. Very disappointing about the helm as I am sure they would have appealed to a broader audience if they were made of metal.

Do you know how accurate they are to the film? The one I saw looked bent and disfigured from the originals.

Ted Sweeny
05-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi

I have seen a real picture of the 300 sword replica and it looks... bad to say the least. The blade is not accurately geometrical to the actual movie prop, not to mention it isn't even weathered. It's bright and clean shiny steel that looks like a paper cut-out only matchinbg the 300 sword shape. :|

Take a look for yourselves.
http://kultofathena.com/product~item~49202.htm

*TS

Grey Pilgrim
05-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Are you sure that is the same sword and not knock-off. The pics I saw of them looked identical to the ones in the movie. It seems to be the same pic cycling around though, I haven't seen any others besides this one. There is a drastic difference between the two pics, I wonder if they are two different products or if the one below is false advertisement...:huh: I hope it's the first.

http://www.mwart.com/images/pl/Movie_Replicas_300_Spartan_Sword_NO4902_6938.jpg

Even if it is the same sword, I'm sure if you weathered it, it wouldn't look as atrocius.

Steel versions: http://www.ucforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4359

http://www.ucforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4358

These look more promising than the official reproductions in my opinion. The crest on the Leonidas helm is different, but I still think it looks good enough if not better.

Ted Sweeny
05-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Hi

No, those are definitely the official ones. The pic you showed is merely a prototype picture and KoA had this one up until they received the actual props and made the adjustment.

*vomits* :|

*TS

Grey Pilgrim
05-22-2007, 08:46 PM
*Doh!* Well that sucks! Oh well, I'll probably end up buying one anyway and just age it myself.

Jash
05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
I was also considering purchasing a few of the 300 replicas...until i found out they were resin/fiberglass. In fact, i've already heard of a few online sites having their Helms break on them. Then again, for the price, they don't seem too bad at all.....well, for a toy company!

Grey Pilgrim - who makes those unofficial replica helms? I've seen some nice Greek helms come out of Deepeeka and Windlass - handmade using brass or steel.

Grey Pilgrim
05-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I don't know who makes them, all I know is the site they come from.
I tried further research, but no such luck... I'm going to keep looking though.:)

Jash
06-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I think i finally stumbled upon the maker of those non-official replicas that Grey Pilgrim was referring too...
Windlass!

Apparently they are steel with an antiqued brass plating. I own a few Windlass/MR helms and have always been impressed..so i'm sure these will be of superb quality.

Ted Sweeny
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
According to their website, the 300 replicas are listed under licensed goods, so if they are right, they're not knock offs. Even though it doesn't look accurate, their shield is at least some type of metallic substance, not the cheesy looking junk NECA uses.

Oh, and they do not seem to make the sword. Either that or they don't list it.

*TS

Grey Pilgrim
06-20-2007, 12:40 PM
Thank you Jash, I looked into it more and from what I've read, it seems that they are licensed versions from the comic book. It said that they've had the aid of Frank Miller in designing them. So I think I'd rather buy these than the official movie replicas, Windlass just has so much higher quality than NECA.

Jash
06-27-2007, 02:31 AM
Windlass just has so much higher quality than NECA.

I still don't know how a TOY company managed to get the license for 300 weapons??? lol

Either way, if you do pick up these pieces GP, i eagerily await your review!