PDA

View Full Version : Valyrian Steel - A Song of Ice and Fire

Thorin
03-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, I knew this day would come.

"I'm pleased and excited to announce that I've signed a deal with Jalic, Inc of East Lansing, Michigan, granting them a license to manufacture and sell full-sized high-quality replicas of the arms and armor from A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE.

Jalic is a new company, but its owner and proprietor, Chris Beasley, has been involved with making and selling swords, knives, and fighting steel for a long time, and brings a lot of experience and expertise to the project.

Jalic's line of Westerosi weaponry will be sold under the name Valyrian Steel... but let me hasten to add that we won't be restricting ourselves to just the Valyrian blades mentioned in the books. Any of the various weapons featured in the novels are fair game, and we've already been kicking around ideas for King Robert's warhammer, the golden blade of the Kingslayer, and of course Arya's Needle. "Stick 'em with the pointy end," indeed!

That's for later, though. The first Valyrian Steel blade that Jalic will be offering is Jon Snow's LONGCLAW. Chris and I have been trading emails for months, fine tuning the design, and we finally have one we love. You'll be able to see it on the news page of my website, along with a fuller version of this announcement.

Meanwhile, check out the website for Valyrian Steel at

http://www.valyriansteel.com/" - http://grrm.livejournal.com/

I am quite excited :D I'd like to see some pictures first though. :)

The Flame of the West
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Interesting news. I wouldn't mind seeing pics either. I wonder, will the weapons this company designs be the ones featured in HBO's upcoming miniseries? I'll assume so, since these are being approved my Martin himself. Let's just hope no conflict arises between those designing the weapons, and those responsible for the rest of the props that will be used in the series.

Thorin
03-21-2007, 05:01 PM
That was one of things that I was thinking about as I was reading this. I have a feeling that they may ultimately chose to use his designs and use what this company produces although they will probably have to create functional ones as opposed to the display ones we will see produced.

Thorin
03-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Here is the first picture.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news/sword.jpg

It is Jon Snow's Longclaw. This is only a drawing, but I had always imagined it to be a little bit longer and not as thick. The run is going to be limited to 2500, coming with the plaque and a certificate of authenticity signed by George Martin himself.

You can read more here: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/news.html

BladeCollector
03-23-2007, 11:19 AM
i am always happy to hear about a new line of swords, but then i think about the fact that i have to pay for them... i am still trying to get other lotr things that are getting harder and harder to come by.

Thorin
03-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Hmm... he changed the picture. Now it only shows the pommel and a bit of the grip. I think it is the grip that really bugs me. Oh well.

Yeah, as much as I would love to have all of these swords, financing is a major issue. I have so many interests and as much as I would love to own a piece of this series... I just don't think it will happen. :(

Thorin
03-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Here are some Questions & Answers about the company and the swords they plan on producing.

"How Much Will These Cost?
We aim to provide the swords at a price competitive with other such reproductions. How much each sword costs will depend on the final cost of materials for producing the sword, and the larger swords (Ice or Longclaw) will be more than the smaller swords (Needle). We aim for all of the swords to come in at $150-$300.

Are The Swords Functional?
As said in the original announcement, we’re making stainless steel display swords, not functional swords. High carbon steel functional swords of the quality we would want to release would be $600-$1000 or more each, this is out of the price range of most collectors. If there is sufficient demand we may go back and make functional versions of the swords on a very limited basis. It is understood there are many purists out there that disdain stainless steel display swords, however to make a sword at an accessible pricing level with the kind of quality we desire it has to be stainless. So for those who only want functional swords and nothing else please be patient, you may just get your wish.

Will There Be Preodering (a waiting list)?
Yes, just as soon as the first prototype is done and we have pictures to show you what you will be buying we will open things up for preorders for those willing to put down deposits.

Will You Make XYZ Sword?
We’re not just making Valyrian Steel blades. We plan to make all the popular arms and armor from the series. So yes, Dawn, Needle, the Kingslayer’s sword, possibly a Dornish spear, or the Hound’s helmet, these will all be made, assuming there is sufficient demand anyways.

Can You Ship to XYZ Country?
We’ll be able to ship most everywhere in the world, however many countries forbid the import of weapons and consider display swords to be weapons. Other countries require the recipient to have a special license. If you’ve never bought a sword before you should check the laws in your country to make sure you can buy one and have it imported."

http://www.valyriansteel.com/2007/03/23/frequently-asked-questions/