PDA

View Full Version : Favourite CAS Katana?

Jash
06-11-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone,
Well, i just couldn't take the "Never" under the CAS title anymore! lol
So here's a (i hope, but maybe not) simple question to start things off under the CAS topic...

What is your favourite CAS-Hanwei Katana - both forged and folded - and why?

Guess i'll go first...
My favourite forged katana (and one i own) is the Musashi katana. Besides just being a very beautiful looking sword, i find it just feels great in my hands! True, it is a bit too long at roughly 45'' overall and myself being only 6'...the main reason i bought it was due to it's historical aspect. I have read Musashi's "Book of Five Rings" about 3 times now and am a huge fan...so of all the forged Katana's out there...as a martial artist, the Musashi was a must for me!
My favourite folded katana at the moment would be the Orchid katana. Eventhough the Kami is "one step higher"....i found the feel of the Orchid to be well balanced for how i handle a blade. In addition, the Kami was just too "loud" for my taste and i wasn't a big fan of the square tsuba (handguard) on the Bushido. But the main part is...i just love the blue laquer...lol.

SauronTD
06-12-2006, 08:23 AM
I dont own any of the forged of folded but my favorite that I have is the Practical Katana. Why? I've but it through a lot of abuse and it has taken no damage what so ever. My Practical Plus got a nice chip out of the edge, but no such thing on the practical.

V34
06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
NONE! I have owned 3 of them. The musashi, W/T, PK. didn't like any of
them. I am no fan of PC products. I have given them a chance to many times
and did not like the results. Tsuka is horrible, it's like a baseball bat. Hamon
is acid etched WAAAAAAy too much. Habaki's are made horrible. koshirae
are crap. Just my experience and knowledge about katana's. Look around
there are other CO. that make nice katana's with more traditional characteristics. Just a note do some research on katana's and other Co.
before you buy. Also to each his own.

J.V.

Jash
06-26-2006, 01:29 AM
Hhhmm...interesting V34.
You're right though, "to each his own". lol

But out of curiosity, which CO's do you recommend? And why?

V34
06-26-2006, 09:10 AM
That's a good question. As far as production Katana's I like Dynasty forge,
Last Legend, Oni forge and Tozai imports. I try to stay away from PC
products. I have had too many made like crap. If you like PC products the
only line I would recommend is the Bugei line. They are made by PC but are
inspected by Bugei and James Williams. But for the money of Bugei there are
better production katana's.

V34
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm starting to go to all custom smiths. My next katana will be an
Anthony Dicristofano, Tamahagane 27" Nagasa 11" Tsuka, full wrap
sam'e, silk ito,and the Koshirae made by me out of silver of course.

Jash
06-28-2006, 01:04 AM
I agree with you 100% V34....Bugei would be the way to go for a Chen blade. I've only heard good things about them. Only reason i did not mention that in this thread was since this is for CAS weapons, and technically, Bugei is not. I've never been a huge fan of Dynasty or Last Legend..there's just something about the feel and look of them that i just don't like. (like always "to each his own"). I'll have to look into Oni and Tozai. I've been saving up for the Orchid Set, i have enough $$$..but just hesitant about spending that much..lol. Also, keeping my options opened, since with this new price range...there are FAR MORE sword options out there! lol Keeping in mind i'm looking more for a "collector" set more so than a "great functional" set right now.

V34 - do you have any pics of your custom katanas?