PDA

View Full Version : Which Sting?

Gilgalad-2490
10-23-2004, 10:55 AM
hey all i'm interested in buying sting soon but i'm not sure whether i should get the M.C version or the regular version. I'm very impatient so I would like it soon, and i also heard that the sting scabbard will not fit the M.C version? But i want the funtional version of sting, i'm really confused and any advice would be appreciated. Should i go with the regular version or wait for the M.C version of sting?

King Elessar
10-23-2004, 11:15 AM
If you are interested in all the technical gizmos that the Master Replica Sting offers, and are not interested in adding a scabbard in the future,go with that one.It's also on sale with a code that's floating in the internet.

However,if you want to add a scabbard in the future and want a real sword then without a doubt,go with United Cutlery's replica.Its a wise choice if you already have other United Cutlery products as well.

Elfstone
10-23-2004, 12:52 PM
I would pick the UC one. Yes the MR one lights up. But the United Cutlery Sting sword lights up, too. But only when orcs are around lol, it's metal, and if you pm me I can get you a free scabbard for it. Later. Hope I can help.

Dunedain Ranger
10-23-2004, 01:27 PM
United cutlery if you want one closer to the movies but Ive heard the other one is nice

V34
10-23-2004, 01:29 PM
He isn't talking about the Master Replicas one!! He is talking about the Fully functional UC museum collection.. The Museum Collection one is going to be a
fully functional battle ready sword. It will also be limited and look exactly like the one in the movies. But the downfall is going to be the price. It will be more expensive. I have the Sting w/scabbard it is a very nice piece for the price. I have this confirmed from a reliable source. I would probably buy the Sting with scabbard 1st and if you like the sword and have the money to save up you can get the M.C. one after.

Thorin
10-23-2004, 05:08 PM
It depends on what you plan on doing with Sting. If your looking for a decorative piece... then get the current one. If you want to swing it around and cut stuff... get the MC one. If you arent sure, id wait until the MC one actually comes out. That way he have a better idea of what it is all about.

The Flame of the West
10-23-2004, 05:59 PM
That's great advice Thorin, and I'm glad someone (V34) actually realised which 2 he was deciding over! :p Like Thorin said, you have to think about what you plan to do with Sting. If you want to display it primarily, then get the current UC version. It is a wonderful piece. However, if you want to actually fight with it or use it to cut something, then you would be better off waiting for the Museum version. While the current UC doesn't have as dull a blade as most of the other LOTR swords in UC's line, I wouldn't suggest you start hacking at something with it ;)

Gilgalad-2490
10-23-2004, 08:36 PM
thanks for the advice so far i'm still not positive what i'm going to do because i do eventually want a scabbard but i also want it to be functional so maybe i'll end up gettin both, not sure yet though

not-impressed
10-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I don't think it matters if you are planning on displaying it or chopping stuff with it. The MC version wins easily.
a) Its limited
b) Its "functional" (though we'll have to wait and see exactly what functional means)
c) Its a lot more detailed and better looking than the normal sting.

If you are planning on getting both then I would buy the MC version first because it might sell out very very quickly. The normal sting was the first LOTR sword released and its still on the market so you can always get that one later.

Elfstone
10-23-2004, 11:10 PM
I'm so stupid. I thought I saw MR. I don't know what I'd do. I ordered the original Sting. So inadvertantly I do know what I'm doing, lol. Just because it is functional doesn't mean it is better. For one thing, it's harder to clean. Probably awesome and I would enjoy having it, but how are you going to fit a locked glass box on your wall? or would you put it on a table? that could make it look kinda stupid. If I were you I'd go with the original Sting now because of its low price, then I would see how good the M.C. Sting really is and you can choose then. PM me for details of an inexpensive Sting. Later

Grima Wormtongue
10-24-2004, 12:25 AM
If you have patients, go for the MC version. It will be more valuble, is fully functional, and it comes in a nice little box. But if your like me, and think all LEs are precious, then get the regular edition to. Its sharp, full tang, and short enough to be used(not fully functional, but it can be used);)
-wormtongue

KingUnderTheMountain
10-24-2004, 12:56 PM
i say get the MC version..it will be pitted and weather worn and it will rock

CrimsonAshes
04-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I have the original one, and I probably shoudn't even be responding due to the fact that my Sting arrived in horrible condition. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen. Not UC fault though, it was shady dealers. I sent it back, and I still havent recieved a replacement.

Anyway, I think that the regular Sting in the proper condition is beautiful, and it has a great display.

However, I have not seen the MC in real-life, but I do know that:

- It says that MC is fully functional, but who the hell is going to take it into battle or hack a tree with it?

- It's not new looking. I love how sting is shining and beautiful. I don't know if I would want a worn out looking sword.

- The scabbard doesn't fit it properly. I bought the scabbard to my Regular sting, and I love it... How important is the scabbard to you?

So in the end, maybe I am just bitter. Just maybe.

Good luck man, either one will rock.

V34
04-11-2005, 10:34 PM
The Regular Sting Scabbard Fits The Mc Version Sting!!!!

CrimsonAshes
04-11-2005, 10:57 PM
ahhh excuse my previous post then.

Black Rider
04-12-2005, 12:38 AM
So now that some people have started to receive their MC Sting's, which do they prefer? Is it worn too much, or is it still a beautiful piece (I've only seen photos)? How functional is it? I would never use it for battle, but to me it still looks like a great display piece with the wooden box, & it's limited! Then again, the regular Sting would probably better match the other pieces hanging on my wall! Opinions appreciated, as I am also unsure on which one to go for. :confused2

The Flame of the West
04-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Ultimately, which Sting to buy rests on ones financial situation. The MC Sting is going to cost $200+ more than the regular Sting, which is a considerable difference. If money is no object, or you have no quams(sp?) about paying the extra, then definitely go for the MC. As has been previously mentioned, superior display & steel, and it is a Limited Edition.
However, some are not as fortunate as others, so regular Sting is obviously the better option. Still a wondeful sword, and it doesn't break the bank to get it :)

Black Rider
04-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks TFotW, that's a good point you make. The MC Sting is very tempting @ the moment w/current deals around. Especially considering the hefty sum I forked out for my LE Anduril. :thumbsup:

The Flame of the West
04-13-2005, 03:01 PM
You're welcome Black Rider :)
I'd be pretty tempted by MC Sting too. While it may cost a lot more than the regular, it will be a worthwhile investment in the long run. It's a limited edition afterall, and eventually, it will sell out. I plan on buying it before that happens, otherwise I'll be bidding on a certain site for one, which I hope to never have to do!