PDA

View Full Version : Sauron's Gauntlet

FoolofaTook
10-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Let me first start by apologizing as to why this thread is appearing in the swords sectioon. I did not see a Gauntlet section or a misc. armor section to pose my question. Is United Cutlery making all the gauntlets right handed? Or will some of them be made left handed? I went back and watched the fellowship to see which hand of Sauron's is actually severed and it is indeed the right hand. Will the gauntlet be wearable? If so, does United have any plans on making a companion gauntlet without the ring for the other hand? My guess is no, however, I thought I would pose the question.

Grima Wormtongue
10-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Let me first start by apologizing as to why this thread is appearing in the swords sectioon. I did not see a Gauntlet section or a misc. armor section to pose my question. Is United Cutlery making all the gauntlets right handed? Or will some of them be made left handed? I went back and watched the fellowship to see which hand of Sauron's is actually severed and it is indeed the right hand. Will the gauntlet be wearable? If so, does United have any plans on making a companion gauntlet without the ring for the other hand? My guess is no, however, I thought I would pose the question.
As it was seen in the movie, United will copy it exactly (if you doubt this, read how United copied the movie andurils mistake). Its kinda funny that Sauron had to switch his mace to his left hand to grab isildur, when if he used his left to grab isildur, he could of saved his life. Aswell, the Guantlet will be fully wearable, and made out of plate steal;)
-wormtongue

Mithrandir
10-20-2004, 11:56 AM
yeh , but left handers might not be too pleased at having to wear it on their right hands.

Felagund
10-20-2004, 01:18 PM
yeh , but left handers might not be too pleased at having to wear it on their right hands.
You cant please everyone . . . good thing Sauron wore the ring on his right hand. . :p

Mithrandir
10-20-2004, 01:47 PM
true, i'm right handed too so i'm not complaining.:D

V34
10-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm a righty too.

Gandalf the Grey/White
10-20-2004, 04:25 PM
Well I'm a lefty but I think it's a good thing that its on the right. 2 reasons...
1. It stays close to the actual prop
2. When your wearing it you cant write if your right handed so Ill be able to typle a little, write alittle, and wield a sword better. so now who's got the disadvantage?:p

Turgon
10-21-2004, 09:26 AM
I think even the lefties would be dissapointed if UC had decided to "improve" the original prop. I'm right-handed, by the way.

FoolofaTook
10-21-2004, 12:34 PM
I agree with all of you that UC should not diverge from the actual prop. However, I feel that the gauntlet should come as a pair of gauntlets. One with the ring on the right hand and one for the left hand without the ring. What is the point of making these items so that you can wear them should you want to. Who wants just one gauntlet to wear on their right hand? I also understand that these are made for the sole purpose for display and decorative purposes not to be worn as a costume. It would be nice (say for Halloween) to dress up like Sauron. But it would look odd with only one gauntlet.

The Flame of the West
10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Well, just imagine how much it would cost for TWO gauntlets! Yeah, I along with many others, would be willing to pay, but it is just not practical. Anyhow, the right-handed Gauntlet of Sauron was the most important, obviously because he wore the ring on that hand, so that explains UC's decision to make the right-handed one, and like you said, it is really just for display purposes anyway, even if it is functional.

Felagund
10-21-2004, 07:34 PM
2. When your wearing it you cant write if your right handed so Ill be able to typle a little, write alittle, and wield a sword better. so now who's got the disadvantage?:p
Why would anyone want to do all those stuff while wearing the gauntlet...:confused: :p :D

Gregorius0202
10-21-2004, 08:02 PM
I'm semi-ambidexterous, and by that I mean I write with my right ONLY, but I use my left for throwing, etc... I WANT the Gauntlet right handed, as it's only proper! IF I do get it, and decide to do a costume, I'll probably ship the gauntlet to a custom armorer, and have them make me an identical left-handed version... (without the ring, of course!)

This way, I'll be accurate, and it'll be totally cool to wear those suckers around 8-)

-Gregory-

Gandalf the Grey/White
10-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Well heres a gauntlet that I did of sauron's gauntlet out of strips of velkro. And it's for leftys. so I could take off the ring on the velkro one and wear them together. The pictures are a little big and blury, sorry:(. It dosen't move a lot but is wearable. Hope you guys like it.:)

http://www.ucforums.com/photopost/data/500/796DCP_1509-med.JPG

The ring is made out of a chocolate coin wrapper

http://www.ucforums.com/photopost/data/500/796DCP_1510-med.JPG

Here's me wearing the Gauntlet

http://www.ucforums.com/photopost/data/500/796DCP_1511-med.JPG

Thorin
10-21-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm semi-ambidexterous, and by that I mean I write with my right ONLY, but I use my left for throwing, etc... I WANT the Gauntlet right handed, as it's only proper! IF I do get it, and decide to do a costume, I'll probably ship the gauntlet to a custom armorer, and have them make me an identical left-handed version... (without the ring, of course!)

This way, I'll be accurate, and it'll be totally cool to wear those suckers around 8-)

-Gregory-
Sounds like a plan to me! I think i'd have both hands made... just so that i wouldnt have to worry about scratching or damaging the real guantlet. Oh the money... lol.

Nice velcro glove. Thats great. You should enter that into the contest!

Gregorius0202
10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a plan to me! I think i'd have both hands made... just so that i wouldnt have to worry about scratching or damaging the real guantlet. Oh the money... lol.

Nice velcro glove. Thats great. You should enter that into the contest!
Haha! What's the fun in buyin' the gauntlet if I won't wear it around, even though it's got a full leather lining, etc! :D The joys of reeacting... I probably won't get the gauntlet, though, now that I think about it... There are too many custom Bronze Age things I want done, that are out of my reach to accomplish (that equals big bucks$$$)

Oh well:\ The helmet is good enough for me (almost).

-Gregory-

Thorin
10-22-2004, 03:36 PM
Well, of course i'd wear it around the house, but I don't think I would go outside and scare some people with it... although. I had problems with people touching my stuff... I always have. Im very cautious of where my swords go and who touches them :) The same rules apply for anything limited or precious to me.

Gregorius0202
10-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Well, of course i'd wear it around the house, but I don't think I would go outside and scare some people with it... although. I had problems with people touching my stuff... I always have. Im very cautious of where my swords go and who touches them :) The same rules apply for anything limited or precious to me.
Ah, I see. I'm the other way around. I don't find any usefulness with my stuff unless if I can enjoy using it. I cut metal up with my PPK, and that values in at just under $300, now. I use everything that I can use, without being extreme enough to ruin it.

-Gregory-

JustinTD
10-22-2004, 05:30 PM
In response to the "why didn't they do them as a pair?" question. Kropserkel makes a pair of Witchking gauntlets which are very simliar to the Sauron gauntlets (as far as material to make them etc...) ... they retail a pair of those between $875-$955 depending on which kind you buy. I have talked with them about wholesaleing, and they do not offer it since they charge slightly higher than cost. Scott Maple had this to say "Our numbers are close and just enough to make them worth doing." ... so you can see why UC only did 1. If they did a pair, it would be WAY too expensive for most people to buy.

Here's a pic of the Witchking ones: ($955)
http://www.kropserkel.com/WKg4.jpg

Gregorius0202
10-23-2004, 09:51 PM
Hey Justin, those look neat! Blacken those suckers and you'd have a real Lord of the Rings treat:p

But, that is very expensive... I can put together a full outfit for some of my Historical reeactment era's for that amount of money:\

-Gregory-