PDA

View Full Version : Narsil- Elendil scale or not?

Gil-Galad
10-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Over in the spear and pike area we were talking about the scale of Aeglos. (this was a while back). Someone said that the replica Narsil was produced smaller than the sword that would have been Elendil's, that it would be to big for people like you and me. I had always assumed that the Narsil I bought was the same size Elendil would have, but now I don't know. Someone help me out please. One thing to think about would be that UC made sting the way you would find it, not actor scale. I would hope that UC would do the same with all of their weapons.

The Flame of the West
10-03-2004, 07:27 PM
I believe UC tries to stick with character scale, as with your example of Sting. Weapons and warfare, however, says that it is around 5 feet in length, and Narsil is 8 inches shorter than that. Maybe UC are making the scale actor weapons, so for example, the Sting they copied, was the Sting that the "hobbit-sized" double for Elijah used. This could explain why Narsil isn't 5 feet long, but i don't know for sure.

Gilgalad-2490
10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
i think it's very possible that U.C might make a big scaled narsil sword

Anduril
10-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Yeah. In the book of the Weapons and Armour it says that the ranger sword is also over 5 feet long. I think they got it messed up. And I doubt John Howe would say that Narsil was one of UC's best replicas if it was so different in size. And the book also said, "The Rohan had a great cavalry..." That is not proper usage. The plural is Rohirrim.

Aragorn Elessar
10-05-2004, 02:49 AM
I don't think we need to worry much about what the Weapons and Warfare books says or doesn't say, as most of the stuff in that book is either inconsistent with what the movies or the Tolkien book had, or just plain out wrong and incorrectly created/made-up.

To be frank, that book is pretty crappy in terms of the information it provides, I just bought it for the pictures

Silmierama
10-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I don't have it, but my friend does, and I'd have to agree with you, Aragorn Elessar. The book oftenr makes up things, draws incorrect conclusion, is or is out and out wrong. Maybe UC will make their own version..?

Anduril
10-06-2004, 06:27 AM
It also says that Glamdring was left behind when Gandalf sailed west. But we all know he took it with him.

King Elessar
10-06-2004, 06:49 AM
I believe UC tries to stick with character scale, as with your example of Sting. Weapons and warfare, however, says that it is around 5 feet in length, and Narsil is 8 inches shorter than that. Maybe UC are making the scale actor weapons, so for example, the Sting they copied, was the Sting that the "hobbit-sized" double for Elijah used. This could explain why Narsil isn't 5 feet long, but i don't know for sure.
You are correct The Flame of the West.If there isnt a prop that is character scale then,there wont be a replica that is character scale.United Cutlery bases their replicas on the props.

Also guys,please try to get back on topic,the thread is on the verge of deviating to a discussion of the Weapons and Warfare book.

Sindamar
10-06-2004, 12:24 PM
I wondered about the size of Narsil elsewhere in a thread on Gondorian/Numenorean swords... (Where there are supposedly two swords of the same style, but of two different lengths as well). Here's the bit..

"P.s. I just thought of something, did Elendil the Tall wield a smaller version of Narsil in the 2nd Age battle sequence to show it in proportion to his height? Or did they just not bother?"

The simple fact of it is, unless they used an especially tall actor for Elendil, the prop sword would be of either the same length as Anduril, or if they made it in proportion to the character's supposed height, smaller than Anduril. Personally I doubt it, and I expect that as Anduril and Narsil are the same length, they just used one scale of prop. Therefore UC would make it to the scale that the actor's used, (unless they deliberately chose to increase it of course..._!
That does raise a question of how they'll scale the weapons for the other races though... especially the Elven and Dwarven ones... Will they be Elf-sized (or Dwarf-sized), or will they be sized for the props and therefore Human scaled?

Aragorn Elessar
10-07-2004, 05:54 AM
I believe that Gimli's axes are coming out dwarf-sized?

And I don't think they'd have bothered too much to make Elendil really be "the Tall". There really wasn't that much information about the Numenoreans in the movie, other than when Elrond mentioned that their glory has passed in FOTR. I believe that the Numenoreans were all tall, and Elendil was even taller... (7" in the book? Can't remember).

And really, we only got to see Elendil and Narsil together for all of a few seconds, and because of the angles of those shots, there really isn't any way to see clearly how tall either Elendil or Narsil is.

Come to think of it, we only see Elendil holding Narsil once, when he was holding it up cheering, right before Sauron shows up. The next shot was him charging towards Sauron, then he was already dead bouncing off a wall of rock and Narsil dropped.

Nasnandos
10-14-2004, 06:06 PM
Our Narsil is the exact size of the movie prop. To my knowledge there were no other scale props of this sword made. Isildur's sword prop is much smaller, about the size of Strider's ranger sword.

Silmierama
10-17-2004, 04:43 PM
That makes sense. Aragorn was supposed to be about as tall as the Numenorians of old, so they probably wouldn't need a large difference in the prop, even if they did scale versions.

The Flame of the West
10-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Isildur's sword prop is much smaller, about the size of Strider's ranger sword.

Hmmm.. Wonder why they have that prop!?!? :p I'm glad they do, I want this sword!

Silmierama
10-18-2004, 11:56 PM
That makes two of us. I love the way that sword looks...