PDA

View Full Version : Confusion

Elfstone
09-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Ok, say you have a fake Narsil, made of Stainless steel, and you cleaned every fingerprint off of it since you've had it. How would it have black spots on it? And how would you clean it?

Anduril

Grima Wormtongue
09-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Ok, say you have a fake Narsil, made of Stainless steel, and you cleaned every fingerprint off of it since you've had it. How would it have black spots on it? And how would you clean it?

Anduril
If its a fake, do you know for sure its made of stainless steel? the black spots would be rust for sure, so it mustnt be a good steel. Id recomend to clean it with Metal glo, and then start oiling it. Or you could just through the knock-off piece of junk away;)

Can we see some pics?

Estar
09-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Yes it has got to be the blade material.. These conterfeiters are known to use steel with high levels of impurities from their previous uses.

I would say play around with it when you feel like hitting something with a sword, but tuck it hidden in some cupboard when not in use.. It's not worth the care...

Elfstone
09-22-2004, 10:24 PM
See, the thing is, I paid 92 dollars for it. I thought it was real, stupid, stupid, stupid. This inquiry was really to make sure that when I bought Anduril this wouldn't happen again. I am really worried about that. do you think this will happen again? What should I do to keep it from doing this? How could I prevent it? Without over doing it and it smelling like WD-40 all of the time. I'd like the good old, not very much of a smell, metal smell.
Thanks,
Anduril492

Thorin
09-22-2004, 11:22 PM
Hmm, it's difficult to say. I think that if you really want those spots to come out, your going to have to spend a lot of time scrubbing and washing. Your blade shouldn't smell like WD40 after you've cleaned it. After you have used it, you should take a rag and wipe it clean. The WD40 just removes any oils that may be on the blade... ie fingerprints.

The blackdots are hard to get out. I have tried many times on a neighbours sword.

Estar
09-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Well I would say UC products use superior materials as many here on this forum can testify to it.. If you do get Anduril (UC's of course) you wouldn't have to worry much about it rusting IF you take moderate care of it (and more careful supervision if you live in humid areas).

My UC Replicas have shown NO signs of rust and Glamdring my first sword is already more than a year old but still in perfect condition... IN FACT, it looks better than ever...!

V34
09-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I have turned away from using WD-40. I clean it with wax now. I think that
The WD-40 might cause some minimal damage. But don't take my word for it
just my own analysis. I only would use it if it was a very serious problem. I
think it may be to harsh for the finich UC puts on it for antiquing.
Anyone else have the same opinion?

Elfstone
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I was wondering, would that Super Duper Magic Cloth thing work on any or all of the blades? I know that's not the name, but you guys know what I am talking about. I have one that i got when I went to the Smoky Mountains. Will that hurt any of the blades? Will it keep the blades protected? I've been using it on Aragorn's Elven Knife, and was hoping I wasn't screwing up the blade.