PDA

View Full Version : Narsil dagger, hmmmm

Grima Wormtongue
09-14-2004, 01:59 AM
i was looking at my COA from my helm of elendil and noticed the concept sketch of elendils armour...

http://www.ucforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1087

I point his many dagger, pretty cool huh. I like daggers, and this is one of 2 daggers i would like to see made (Grimas dagger). I think this looks pretty cool, and i would buy it if it was made. What our your opinions.

PS, i remeber a discussion from this dagger in another thread, yet i couldnt find it when i searched for it. Maybe it was my imagination:(

Elfstone
09-14-2004, 09:16 AM
I really like that dagger. I guess its kinda the same thing Boromir had, in a way. His knife was like a miniature of his sword. I kinda like that idea. I noticed that his scabbard is the same as the one Aragorn uses for Anduril. Maybe it is a heirloom, like Anduril. Maybe they kept the same scabbard that Elendil used. I would like to see the new scabbard that Galadriel used tho.

Sky I Scrape
09-14-2004, 01:59 PM
People make fake daggers, without scabbards, of a miniature Anduril/Narsil and Striders Ranger Sword. I had an oppertunity to buy one but I decided that I'd rather jump off a bridge than promote that garbage. Just because the knife was in that drawing doesn't mean it was actually made for the film though, and I don't ever recall seeing that dagger in any production photos.

Scabbard that Galadriel used? What are you talking about, Anduril492?

Elfstone
09-14-2004, 07:27 PM
People make fake daggers, without scabbards, of a miniature Anduril/Narsil and Striders Ranger Sword. I had an oppertunity to buy one but I decided that I'd rather jump off a bridge than promote that garbage. Just because the knife was in that drawing doesn't mean it was actually made for the film though, and I don't ever recall seeing that dagger in any production photos.

Scabbard that Galadriel used? What are you talking about, Anduril492?
I mean the scabbard that Galadriel, i think, gave him in Lothlorien in the book. I may be wrong. I didn't mean used. I wasn't thinking at the moment. Sorry about that. It was Galadriel that gave it to him, right?

KingUnderTheMountain
09-14-2004, 07:37 PM
i think that looks awesome ..too bad it wasnt used in the film(im pretty sure)

and ya galadriel gave it to him

Aragorn Elessar
09-14-2004, 08:24 PM
I mean the scabbard that Galadriel, i think, gave him in Lothlorien in the book. I may be wrong. I didn't mean used. I wasn't thinking at the moment. Sorry about that. It was Galadriel that gave it to him, right?

Yeah Galadriel gave a specially made scabbard to Aragorn as they leave Lothlorien in the book. Using that scabbard Galadriel said the Sword won't break again even if Aragorn falls... (I've always thought that's EXACTLY the thing I need to hear before I go out to a life-or-death battle! It's just hilarious... perhaps this is some sort of Elven practical joke...)

Bleahhh
09-15-2004, 03:06 AM
Could that be ANGRIST? I read abt this Dagger frm the Silmarllion, that Beren, son of Beor, used Angrst, the dagger, made also by Telchar of Nogrod (same as NARSIL) to pry out a silmaril frm Morgoth's crown...anyone can confirm?

Estar
09-15-2004, 04:29 AM
Hey that would be nice..

Thought i have read Sil many times already, i haven't done so in quite a long while.. So i can't exactly remember if Angrist was made at the same 'period' of time as Narsil or even at least by Telchar... Haha..

I will read it again... but not till after my white staff comes... I grieve for its delay to get into my hands...

Bleahhh
09-15-2004, 07:27 AM
its stated that it is made by Telchar of Nogrod...but is it the same dagger we looking at....:confused:

Estar
09-15-2004, 08:03 AM
I hope it is.. then there is another good reason to make it at a later date..

Sindamar
09-15-2004, 10:24 AM
Could that be ANGRIST? I read abt this Dagger frm the Silmarllion, that Beren, son of Beor, used Angrst, the dagger, made also by Telchar of Nogrod (same as NARSIL) to pry out a silmaril frm Morgoth's crown...anyone can confirm?You're right about Angrist, but it can't be Elendil's dagger. In the Silmarillion Beren takes Angrist from Curufin (one of the sons of Feanor) after he has tried to ride him down. The text says that Angrist was made by Telchar of Nogrod, and could cut through steel like green wood (or words to that effect). He then uses the dagger to pry a Silmaril from Morgoth's Iron Crown whilst he's sleeping. However, he attempts to pry a second one out, and the blade snaps, with a pieces cutting Morgoth's face, and stirring him from his slumber. At which point Beren and Luthien flee (and if I remember rightly, abandoning the broken knife in the Throne Room of Angband).
That's not to say that the dagger couldn't have been made by Telchar, but it can't be Angrist...

King Elessar
09-15-2004, 02:07 PM
I hope it is.. then there is another good reason to make it at a later date..
If there is no prop,it won't be made at all.So don't get your hopes up.

Estar
09-17-2004, 10:26 AM
SO sorry i was about the post about Angrist snapping because i suddenly remembered it...

Well... It would be nice though... ;)

JustinTD
09-17-2004, 02:52 PM
If there is no prop,it won't be made at all.So don't get your hopes up.

Thats not entirely true. The prop is a part of the equation. The rest would be obtaining the license to reproduce it (from New Line or who ever owns it), have a design sketch done that meets the copyright owners approval, producing a prototype, retooling if neccessary, then production and release.

King Elessar
09-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah,that's true.But if the item wasn't on the movie and people didnt get to see it then,the item won't be that recognized to make enough sales,only among fans.And after every fan gets one,the demand will decrease dramatically and this item would just clog the market.I think it would be a waste of time.

avalon
09-17-2004, 07:04 PM
Perhaps the only way that UC would see the dagger as worth-while would to make it a limited edition. However, this could perhaps make it too expensive for some people who were hoping of purchasing a great looking dagger for not too much money?
Just a thought:)

Avalon

Urambo Tauro
07-02-2005, 10:38 PM
People make fake daggers, without scabbards, of a miniature Anduril/Narsil and Striders Ranger Sword.I bought a dagger like one of those recently- a Narsil one. It is a scaled-down version of Narsil, like a miniature. It's about 22 inches overall with a blade of about 15 inches. Unfortunately, because it is scaled-down, this means the handle is smaller, too. It's about of an inch wide by about of an inch thick.
Overall, it's kind of neat. I'm working on a scabbard to replace the leather one that came with the dagger.