PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed With The 1st "MC" Choice

Elressaer
09-13-2004, 05:03 AM
Why did UC decide to make a MC version of Sting ? First, I never liked the sword the first place cuz it looks like a kid's toy sword. Second, THEY (UC) ALREADY MADE A STING !! Why produce another exact one with the difference of functional/non-functional ??? Isn't it really nasty for those that already own the UC Sting Sword to buy another "MC" Sting ?? I really don't know what UC is thinking sometimes. And why not use this chance to make some "MC" swords that are not already made ? Like the EWS or the Eowyn/Eomer swords huh ???

King Elessar
09-13-2004, 05:09 AM
I think the decision of releasing a new sword for the Museum Collection will frustrate even more people.Why should the dispay collectors pay extra for a functional sword when they dont care wether its functional or not.By re-releasing a sword then,anyone who is interested in a functional weapon can pick it up.

Also,Sting is the most popular sword in the entire Lord of the Rings collection,so it is already a sure bet that it will sell.What better way to start a new line with an item that is sure to be succesfull as oppossed to start a new line with a new item that no one knows how the market will react.

Elressaer
09-13-2004, 05:24 AM
I think the decision of releasing a new sword for the Museum Collection will frustrate even more people.Why should the dispay collectors pay extra for a functional sword when they dont care wether its functional or not.By re-releasing a sword then,anyone who is interested in a functional weapon can pick it up.

Also,Sting is the most popular sword in the entire Lord of the Rings collection,so it is already a sure bet that it will sell.What better way to start a new line with an item that is sure to be succesfull as oppossed to start a new line with a new item that no one knows how the market will react.
Sigh... You're right. Well I hope they can make a functional Herugrim... Cuz I still haven't picked one up yet...

Estar
09-13-2004, 07:02 AM
I'm quite sure they will... It's one of the more important swords...

Thorin
09-13-2004, 04:55 PM
The reason behind this is because people wanted a functional lotr sword. Guess what... we complained and begged... they made. You are never going to make everyone happy. I think that people make a big deal out of the fact that they are making another line up. Dont want the so called wallhangers.. well then buy a functional one. Oh, well now people are going to complain that they spent there money on the one when they could have the other... Well... the only difference is that you can hit stuff with one... if you just want the sword, then keep your display piece.

I think Sting is an excellent sword. "it looks like a kid's toy sword" I don't think it does... It was meant as a dagger in the first place, just so happens that being a hobbit made it look like a hobbit size sword. I think UC made the right decision to start with Sting.

I do hope they make Herugrim at some point. I love that sword aswell.

The Flame of the West
09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
I too disagree that Sting looks like a "kids toy", for all the reasons Thorin pointed out, Good Job ;)
Nor am i disappointed that it is the first MC item to be released. This is mainly because i will probably only buy Anduril, if i buy any at all. Also though, i think that it is important for this series to be a success for UC, and making one of, if not the most recognisable sword in the trilogy, first, they are assured of this. I dont believe all the swords will be made in the functional form, probably just the ones of great significance and importance, as well as the ones that have sold well in the current collection; i am of course talking about swords such as Anduril, Glamdring, etc.
Making a sword first that isnt already out in the "wall-hangers" would annoy a large audience, and this is the last thing UC would want to do, as there might be a slim possibility that they would lose some of their fanbase.
One last thing, there really isn't all that much to be disappointed in at all. If you want a functional version of a sword, whether you already have it or not, then the MC series will give you that option. If you are happy with the current series, as so many people are, then just stick with that!

Gregorius0202
09-13-2004, 08:04 PM
I personally am very wary of buying any of the swords or axes from the current series, as I'm a collector of functional weaponry...

Depending on the base price for sting, I may or may not get it, since I don't care for it TOO much, but I think it's a good choice for the MC series opener, nonetheless...

I personally just want to see an Elvish Warrior Sword made for this series, and maybe Hadhafang... And I want scabbards for both! (I was suprised, as several moments ago I ran across a WAY overpriced auction for a custom made UC Hadhafang scabbard. It looks great, but is insanely expensive:\)

So, I do hope they make scabbards for the base series for it that are as cheap as the Strider's Sword scabbard, for example, and fit any MC Hadhafang they may make, or else supply a scabbard for this series as well. I hope these swords come out sometime in 2005, as it would be a pity if I had to wait longer:\

-Gregory-

Agent Of Evil
09-13-2004, 09:06 PM
I too am disppointed with the 1st choice Sting.
I would have rather they came out with the Anduril, which is probably the most popular sword in LOTR. But I think I understand why UC is starting off with the Sting. UE Andurils are still being produced and distribute to retailer. To come out with a new type of Anduril would be too early.

The only MC line I'm interested in is the Anduril. The "functional" line will probably be too expensive to collect them all. So those who wanted to own a LOTR sword will still have economical choice.

Elressaer
09-13-2004, 09:23 PM
You guys are right, I should be happy cuz UC actually listens to us and are now making functional LOTR swords, how better can it get ? And I have to point out that I am a functional sword collector, so the MC line really suits my taste. However Sting is just not what I was looking for... Although I will still purchase Sting, to see if it's really functional or not. So what are the other swords in the MC series guys ? Anyone got any insider info ?

Aragorn Elessar
09-14-2004, 12:56 AM
The MC case next to Sting in the picture posted is supposed to be Glamdring's, as some of the guys on this forum have been able to see what the runes printed in that case are (I couldn't read them at first, as they're quite small and if you enlarge it, it gets even more illegible, but now knowing what the runes are supposed to be in the picture, I can see its resemblance, I concur)

Gregorius0202
09-14-2004, 01:13 AM
Whatever one's they come out with, Sting won't be on my "To buy" list. As a collector of a wide variety of functional weapons and armor, from Bronze Age to Roman to Medieval to Lord of the Rings Items, I have to be cautious in what I get...

I think Glamdring, Isildur's sword, The Witch-King (or regular Nazgul) sword, Hadhafang (or Haldir's, whichever presents itself in the MC first) and the Elven Warrior swords are the only one's I'd THINK of buying, and that I'd only get one or two of those even is quite likely...

-Gregory-

Grima Wormtongue
09-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Now, i understand why sting is being made first by the mc line. But trutfullf, i dont like sting much. I dont own it, because its not on my priority list. Sure, im a big fan of lotr, but to me, the look of the sword counts more then the importance or popularity. I would much rather see Narsil/anduril/sranger sword/herugrim and boromirs sword. They may not be as popular, but IMHO, there the best looking. Aswell, i would love to see Grimas dagger, either in stainless steal or carbonised steal. Anyways, point is im not a big fan of sting.

Saying all that, because i dont own it, im thinking about getting the mc one. LOL:p

Gregorius0202
09-14-2004, 09:49 AM
Hahaha... Well, at least you know what you want, Grima!

I have trouble figuring out that myself, sometime...

-Gregory-

KingUnderTheMountain
09-16-2004, 09:38 PM
im not at all dissapointed in UC's first choice for the MC collection.

Elressaer
09-18-2004, 03:49 AM
im not at all dissapointed in UC's first choice for the MC collection.
Well I am.

(Refer to the first post if you question my opinion)

Gūd Daedheloth
10-05-2004, 09:50 PM
It's the sword of the main character in the trilogy, plus the Hobbit. I think it makes perfect sense. True, it's not my favorite of the blades as far as appearance, but considering that this is a "museum" collection, it seems to be the most logical starter and/or centerpiece.

Anduril
10-06-2004, 06:25 AM
I'm glad they chose Sting first. It will give everyone a chance to see what it is like before they get Andśril.

Sindamar
10-06-2004, 12:59 PM
I think some people would have been disappointed whichever sword UC chose to bring out first in this collection. Whichever one it was, there'd be people asking "Why that one? (insert name of favourite sword) is so much better!".

Realistically, there were three obvious candidates for No.1 - Sting, Glamdring, and Anduril. And I think they chose the most sensible one to start with - it's the most famous, the smallest, and probably cheapest, of the three. It was logical choice, and if it does well, I'm sure the other two (and possibly others) will follow later on...

Me? I'm waiting for a Hadhafang...:)
(But I'd never have expected that to come out first, or even soon...)

Jessehk
10-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Sting seems to be a logical choice for the MC line.

1) small: it's small, so in th case of mass produced swords, it may be cheaper.
2) importance to the story: Sting is arguably the most importan sword in the LOTR story.
3) Popular sword.

makes sense to me......:p

DarkOne
10-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I also think Sting is a good and logical choice for the 1st in the MC line. LOTR is basically about the hobbits and Frodo in particular. In the Hobbit (book), Sting is THE sword.

Just think about how happy one would be when Peter Jackson finally makes and releases The Hobbit (wishful thinking ;) ) a few years from now, and knows that he has a limited (numbered), battle-ready, museum classics Sting?

:D

Anduril 101
10-12-2004, 10:08 AM
I would have started with Sting, like everyone said, its the most popular