PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Age Gondorian infantryman helmet, whos excited

Grima Wormtongue
09-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Since Greg Bates anouncement of more helms too come, we now are getting, IMHO one of the best helms, the 3rd Age Gondorian infantryman helmet:D

This helm will probly be/have...

Fully functional and wearable
Genuine leather lined interiors
Wood display stands silkscreened with "The One Ring" inscription
Limited edition of 5000 individually serialized pieces worldwide Reproduced from the actual prop helmets using only the finest grade materials and skilled hand craftsmanship. Includes a parchment certificate of authenticity.

This helm is in my top 4 list, and i will defently get it, so whose with me? Ask any questions about this helm;)

Gregorius0202
09-08-2004, 12:46 AM
I don't have any of the official Items except a Dwarf Ring by the Noble Collection, because:

A. I'm just gettin' back into Lord of the Rings after a long time with Bronze Age and Hellenic equipment collecting/making

B. I've been waiting for some pieces I know I can't miss out on.

This would PROBABLY fall into the catagory of B, depending on what other helmets are supposed to come out, and if they fit into panoply's I can aquire and use for reenactment or not!

So, I'm excited... For sure! I'd be more excited though at an Easternling or Second Age Elf helmet, personally..!

-Gregory-

Arathorn
09-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Since Greg Bates anouncement of more helms too come, we now are getting, IMHO one of the best helms, the 3rd Age Gondorian infantryman helmet:D

This helm will probly be/have...

Fully functional and wearable
Genuine leather lined interiors
Wood display stands silkscreened with "The One Ring" inscription
Limited edition of 5000 individually serialized pieces worldwide Reproduced from the actual prop helmets using only the finest grade materials and skilled hand craftsmanship. Includes a parchment certificate of authenticity.

This helm is in my top 4 list, and i will defently get it, so whose with me? Ask any questions about this helm;)
I didn't think the gondorian helmet was going to limited as it is going to be so popular:(

The Flame of the West
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
I am excited by the news of this helms release certainly, i love helms! It may be a wee bit of a struggle with 3 helms coming out in quick succession, but i think i'll be able to cope, and get all 3 in the process ;)

Ender
09-08-2004, 05:24 PM
I am very much excited about the Gondorian Infantryman Helm. I actually like it better than Isildur's Helm!:eek: I just like its simple design and most of all the bird wings engraved on the side. But I wish that these helms were a bit more spaced out because Sauron's Helm and Gauntlet are going to do murder to my account.:(

Thorongil AKA (Aragorn)
09-09-2004, 05:43 PM
I 'm with you Grima and my mom says that when I showed her the pics she said she would get them all for me So I have to make space in my room for this helm,Isildur's Helm,The 2nd Age warrior helm and shield,and everything else that was in thos pictures.I'm so excited about these new Hems coming.An come UC were still waiting on the Anduril scabbard so show us some pics.Oh and to get back on topic as soon as I get this helm I'm going to reanact some scenes with it such as a Gondorian Soldier or Pippin even though his helm differs a little from this one.

GALADRIAL
09-09-2004, 05:45 PM
I can't wait. Only problem is.......Where am I going to put it?!

King Elessar
09-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Quite frankly,I would be more excited if this was the Citadel Helmet.But everything gondorian is welcomed by me.I'll probably miss out on it,unless I happen to get a job before it goes up for pre-order.Oh well,I got the helm I REALLY wanted.SAURON'S!!

Thorin
09-09-2004, 06:43 PM
I have talked it over with my parents... but it has been decided that I am going to be able to get all LE from now on... as long as I pay for them or part at some point. It will be sometime before I get anymore swords :(

The Gondorian helm looks great. I'm looking forward to adding itto my helm collection...

Gregorius0202
09-09-2004, 08:23 PM
Ah, back into here with me!

Boy, lots of lucky teens around here:\ I have to work for all of my money! My parents wouldn't dream of buyin' me stuff... Luckily I make over $2,000 a year, and am startin' my own armoring business, so I'll have a couple thousand extra by the end of next semester...

I just saw the pictures of the prototypes posted by Greg (thanks to Elessar) I'm terribly disappointed about the 2nd age Elven helm being made from Fiberglassed resin... It's one of my favorite pieces, and being a functional weapon collector, I'm now quite discouraged to get it.

Same with the shield, sadly:\

But this helmet, along with Isildur's and even Elindel's, have all caught my eye! So, maybe, just maybe...

-Gregory-

Thorin
09-09-2004, 11:57 PM
I would never use Elendil's helm or any helm for that matter for any functional use. Costume maybe... but thats it. I have a hard time just taking it off the stand let alone putting it on. The Eleven helm is made of figerglass for minimum maintence. Elendil's helm has to be oiled and cleaned... etc or it will rust.

I watched RoTK and payed attention to the Gondorian helms. I must say that UC has done a great job duplicating the helm. If I didn't know any better... i'd say they were from the movie. :)

Gregorius0202
09-10-2004, 12:28 AM
"I would never use Elendil's helm or any helm for that matter for any functional use."

Of course, I'd never use THIS helmet for a functional use. If I were to go into SCA combat, for example, I would wear a cheap helmet, or something I have a better version or replacement for.

The importance of having these items being functional is the 'historic' (as far as Tolkien subjects go) value. When reenactors or recreators like myself have full panoply's of armor, besides the beauty and accuracy of each individial piece, it is also important to have these items have the same protective, or deadly, qualities of their immortalized originals.

The appreciation someone like myself recieved from knowing that I am being protected in a true fashion in my outfit, just as those men in history or these fanciful histories would have been, is so great that I can't describe it!

That's why functional items are important, in my opinion, because the values of realism in these types of hobbies is so important for keeping the true values of the originals we are replicating remembered.

-Gregory-

Arathorn
09-10-2004, 01:14 PM
I watched RoTK and payed attention to the Gondorian helms. I must say that UC has done a great job duplicating the helm. If I didn't know any better... i'd say they were from the movie. :)
Maybe they are??? ;)

The Flame of the West
09-10-2004, 03:33 PM
I have talked it over with my parents... but it has been decided that I am going to be able to get all LE from now on... as long as I pay for them or part at some point. It will be sometime before I get anymore swords :(

The Gondorian helm looks great. I'm looking forward to adding itto my helm collection...

You are quite fortunate. My parents paid $150 of the $300 for my helm of Gimli, but thats it! I did get nominated for the Governor's Honors Program here in Georgia, which would have earned me a helm from my parents, but im not allowed to do it because im a senior :( That was annoying!
Anyways, really looking forward to these 3 helms, Isildur's is really growing on me, and i will be able to manage because i have a job that pays sufficiently.

Gilgalad-2490
09-10-2004, 07:04 PM
I think i'm gonna get the P.E.W helm first but i'll eventually get the 3rd age gondorian helm it looks pretty cool

Gregorius0202
09-10-2004, 07:13 PM
"You are quite fortunate. My parents paid $150 of the $300 for my helm of Gimli"

You're even more fortunate than I, my friend. In the last year, I'e spent nearly $2,000 dollars on arms, armor, and materials for weapons and armor construction...

I'm a 15 year old guy. So, guess how much my parent's paid?

None of it:D

-Gregory-

Gilgalad-2490
09-10-2004, 07:46 PM
I always buy my own U.C products (with the exception of christmas, my birthday, good test grades, good report card, etc) my parents have other expenses and plus i have a part time job

Gregorius0202
09-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, that's the way to do it. Only my birthday and Christmas money is not earned by me by workin' in packin' houses, out on tractors, etc... And soon makin' weapons:D It gives us young people some responsibility, don'tcha think?

-Gregory-

Anduril 101
09-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm very excited about this helm, but as always, I can only dream about being able to get it. I need to get a job...

Minas Tirith
09-11-2004, 02:59 AM
have to agree with you gregorius im shattered that the elven warrior helm is going to be made from resin, it is my favourite helm but im not going to get it now id rather get the gondorian infantry helm which is iron.

Gilgalad-2490
09-11-2004, 09:26 AM
the substance of the helm doesn't bother me at all that helm is my second favorite in the movie (after the galadrhim helm) and it's not like you will need it to be functional it's for display, unless we get invaded by a leigon or orcs i think we'll be fine :p

Gregorius0202
09-11-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree with Minas Tirith still...

Whether or not the weapons and armor are used by people for display, halloween costumes, or in a Lord of the Rings reenactment group, having them made "the real way" is far better than using resins and fiberglass.

If you don't care if it's fiberglass, why not just go buy the miniature of it? It's just as far from the real thing as the big one, and you'll save lots of money!

-Gregory-

DarkOne
09-19-2004, 02:23 PM
I love the gondorian helm. I will probably end up getting two:D .

But I think it might be a mistake to make these helms limited in number. I can see midde earth reenactors using and purchasing these helms way into the future.

Maybe UC can make battle-ready and/or reenactor versions of these same helms.

Gregorius0202
09-19-2004, 03:29 PM
All of these helmets are fully functional (battle ready) for reenactment, except the Sauron and Elven Warrior helmets, due to the fact that they're fiberglass reinforced (even though the Sauron helmet does have a steel hull, I wouldn't advise whacking it)

For UC to make 'cheapy' SCA style helmets or things like that would take too much of their time. United Cutlery is devoted to collectors and display pieces, which is what they do best. Places like Albion, Windlass, CAS, and Deepeeka are the primary source of mass-produced reenactor gear, but they can't do Lord of the Rings stuff!

So, if you don't want to screw up your limited edition helmet, you'll have to have one custom made as a non-official item for a pretty penny, or like you said, buy two.

-Gregory-

Tookish
10-07-2004, 02:09 AM
I am absolutely ecstatic about this coming out. I didn't even know it was coming out so soon until I decided to see what was new as of late..

I really need this helmet too for my Pippin RotK costume I've been adding onto over the last year and a half..

GALADRIAL
10-08-2004, 10:00 PM
I like the helmet, but I much rather see the Rohan collection out first. Especially Eomer's Helm. I personally don't think I'll rush out and get one, but if this price is right I'll consider it.

Felagund
10-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Expected to ship Dec/Jan

Boromir Of Gondor
10-17-2004, 09:39 AM
Well I am definitely fetting this helm. I already have my deposit money, and have organised it all. This is going to be my first helm and first Limited Edition piece. I just hope it comes out soon.

Gilgalad-2490
10-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Wow now that i saw that picture of the gondorian helm i think i might purchase it

Gilgalad-2490
10-17-2004, 01:39 PM
I agree with Minas Tirith still...

Whether or not the weapons and armor are used by people for display, halloween costumes, or in a Lord of the Rings reenactment group, having them made "the real way" is far better than using resins and fiberglass.

If you don't care if it's fiberglass, why not just go buy the miniature of it? It's just as far from the real thing as the big one, and you'll save lots of money!

-Gregory-
I wouldnt buy the miniature version because it miniature and not to scale, and i think fiberglass looks like steel

Anduril
10-21-2004, 04:13 PM
This helm will probably sell out quick because there will only be 2,000 made.

Dunedain Ranger
10-23-2004, 01:24 PM
This is must have, when I saw the movie a while with friends.They thought the helm looked dumb, wait till they see it in person when I get it :)