Grima Wormtongue
08-20-2004, 12:43 AM
What do people like most?

What do people want more made of?

Do I ask too many questions?:p

Alright, the human weapons include...
narsil
ranger sword
witchking sword(It belongs to a evil man/wraith)
herugrim
borimirs sword
etc

The elvish weapons include...
Sting
glamdring
hadafang
Anduril
etc

Arathorn
08-20-2004, 03:24 AM
I find this hard to decide because i love elvish weapons but i also love gondorian weapons, not so much the rohirrum though :confused:

The White Rider
08-20-2004, 08:12 AM
The Elven weapons are the best. They have a grace and beauty that is not matched by any of the other swords.

Don't mean to sound rude but Narsil/Anduril is an Elven sword. Narsil was forged in Gondolin during the second age by Telchar, a Dwarf from Nogrost, whos skills came from the knowledge of Turgon and His people. (Turgon was also the wielder of Glamdring).

Gilgalad-2490
08-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Elvish weapons are so elegant and you can weild them so gracfully, i'd have to go with elvish

Boromir Of Gondor
08-20-2004, 10:18 AM
witchking sword(It belongs to a evil man/wraith)

Well the Sword that the Witcking wields AS the Witcking is much different to the sword that he wielded when he was King. The Witcking (after being transformed into a Nazgul), was no longer Human. I do not think that his sword was influenced by the designs and motifs of Men, be it Gondor or Rohan (of course there were other races of men besides these two, but they are the two main. The Witchking lived in the north, in Angmar) . Of course I may be wrong.

Nonetheless, I prefer the weapons of Humans. Boromir's Sword being my favourite, then Herugrim. Elven weapons are nice (especially Glamdring), but I just prefer the Human style and design of weapons.

Anarion
08-20-2004, 10:40 AM
With the acception of Glamdring, i like the human swords little bit more. Theyre all great of course, but id rather have a human sword in battle.

PS: JUST GOT MY SRS!!!!!!!:D :D

Erkenbrand
08-20-2004, 12:22 PM
i voted for the elvish weapons. i like how they are never just strait, they always curve and bend, i think it makes them look a lot better then the human weapons.

The Flame of the West
08-20-2004, 12:26 PM
A difficult question to answer. You'd have to compare the greatest from both races, which would of course be Glamdring for the elves, and Anduril for the men. i would go for Anduril everytime. maybe im a little biased because i own one, but i don't think so. i have always said Glamdring will be my next sword, and that is still the case.
I think Anduril is probably the exception though, and maybe Herugrim, because the other swords of men are quite basic. When you look at the other elven weapons: Sting, Hadhafang, LFK's, Aragorn's knife etc. they are all really beautiful. even the elves in the prologue and those who went to helm's deep, what would be called "infantry" in the army, had really exquisite swords. Standard Rohan and Gondorian swords are really basic in comparison, but worthy weapons nonetheless.
So, in short, i prefer elven, with the exception of Anduril, which was forged by elves from the shards of a dwarf made sword:D

Ender
08-20-2004, 12:49 PM
I think I like the Elvish swords better than the swords of men. The Elvish swords look more curved and have Elvish runes and leaf designs. Out of the swords of men I really like the Rohan blades, because of the golden pummels and designs, but overall I have to cast my vote for the Elvish swords.

Jessehk
08-20-2004, 12:58 PM
I prefer the Elven weapons.

they are more elegent, yet just as powerfull.

KingUnderTheMountain
08-20-2004, 02:12 PM
i cant decide wich i like better..i like the elegant elven designs but the rohan swords are very elegant too, i also like the plainer gondorian swords and the ranger sword.

prehaps the question should have been asked "which do you like better elven or non elven swords"? which would include human swords along with orc and raith swords

King Elessar
08-20-2004, 02:27 PM
Elvis weapons.The way their craftmanships captures the elven culture is just superb.And the decorations that the elves put upon their weapons is just amazing.Its the way that this weapon capture beauty and strenght at the same time that makes them the best.

Gil-Galad
08-20-2004, 02:38 PM
With the exception of Narsil/Anduril, I like the elf weapons the best because of the runes and curves that they use. My favorite being of course AEGLOS!!!:D

The Flame of the West
08-20-2004, 03:25 PM
i cant decide wich i like better..i like the elegant elven designs but the rohan swords are very elegant too, i also like the plainer gondorian swords and the ranger sword.

prehaps the question should have been asked "which do you like better elven or non elven swords"? which would include human swords along with orc and raith swords

KingUnderTheMountain raises a good point there, about the Ranger Sword. It is of a rather plain design, but a mighty weapon nevertheless. I also agree about the Rohan blades, but largely because of Herugrim and Guthwine. Still, these do not really have anything on the Elven weapons, which are in my opinion, superior weapons.
Maybe this should be changed to elven and non-elven weapons, then i would vote for the MACE!! ;)

Warrior of Rohan
08-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I am more interested in European type swords which would the style of humans. However i do enjoy the elvish weapons, but i think i have to go with the swords of men. I love herugrim and boromirs sword.

Grima Wormtongue
08-20-2004, 08:31 PM
The wraith and dwarvish swords can be counted as human, but i should of done what you said. The orcs were once elves, so i dont know what that would be classified as.

I put anduril in the elvish weapons, just becaus it looks alot more elvish, and was remade by the elves:D

Thorin
08-20-2004, 08:48 PM
I like em all. I have no preference.

Balrog of Morgoth
08-21-2004, 01:10 AM
Elvish all the way.

Gillad
08-21-2004, 02:18 AM
I voted for the elvish weapons, but I also like the Gondorian weapons as well. I'm looking forward to Boromir and hopefully Faramir's swords. Sting is my must have. Glamdring is a close second. Hadafang is very cool was well. I like my Narsil too. My Aragorn Elven Hunting Knife is on the way.

I really liked the knives that Merry and Pip received in Lothlorian. I would buy those in a hart beat.

Boromir Of Gondor
08-21-2004, 03:46 AM
The orcs were once elves, so i dont know what that would be classified as.
The Orc weapons are neither Human Nor Elvish. They WERE once elves, but no longer are. as species evolve, so do their weapons. They started to develop their own, with their own designs and ideas put into it. That is why the Uruk-Hai scimitar does not resemble and Elven sword. They would be classifies as "Orc", or in this case, "Non-Human".

I put anduril in the elvish weapons, just becaus it looks alot more elvish, and was remade by the elves
Now I do not know the whole history of Anduril, but I know that it is not an Elven sword. I think it was originally forged by the Dwarves (as somebody said). if this is indeed true, than it should be classified as "Non-Elven". the Elves only reforged it, they did not redesign it. If putting runes on a sword makes it elvish, then if you put runes on Boromir's sword would that too then be Elvish? It does have an Elvish name, but we are talkig about the design of the swords, and it is definitely not an Elvish design. I think where it was originally was fine, as it is not an Elvish sword. Not meaning to be a jerk, but I just had to say it.

Grima Wormtongue
08-21-2004, 04:03 AM
Now I do not know the whole history of Anduril, but I know that it is not an Elven sword. I think it was originally forged by the Dwarves (as somebody said). if this is indeed true, than it should be classified as "Non-Elven". the Elves only reforged it, they did not redesign it. If putting runes on a sword makes it elvish, then if you put runes on Boromir's sword would that too then be Elvish? It does have an Elvish name, but we are talkig about the design of the swords, and it is definitely not an Elvish design. I think where it was originally was fine, as it is not an Elvish sword. Not meaning to be a jerk, but I just had to say it.
As I said, I put narsil in the huma weapons, but because anduril was reforged by the elves, and looks diffrent from the original, i put it under elvish weapons. And i also didnt put the orc scimater under any catagorie, so it doesnt count:D

JustinTD
08-22-2004, 01:00 AM
The Elvish weapons have a much more appealing look. They are all reminiscant of natural contours found in plants and what not ... aside from that, the detailing is great, and they add that nice touch of nameing the swords/knives which gives them a traceable history.. if you found Strider's Ranger Sword on the ground, you would never know what you had, but if you found Glamdring and could get the runes transcribed, there is a history there to follow.

mattrix42
08-22-2004, 01:55 AM
I love Narsil/Anduril, but I gotta vote with the elvish weapons hands down:

- Sting and Glamdring glow when orcs are near
- They are lighter than a comparable human blade
- The teardrop blades and runes are cooler looking IMHO

Foe Hammer
08-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Although Herugrim is my favorite sword (so far), I must vote for the Elven weapons. As a group, the Elven weapons are much more elegant and aesthetically pleasing.

Sindamar
08-24-2004, 02:16 PM
I have to vote for the "Elvish-made" weapons. They are, at least to me, more aesthethically pleasing than the "human-made" ones (translated: they look nicer!:) ). Having said that, it may just be that the designers had a freer rein in designing them for the films than for the "human" ones, where they seem more constrained to historical models, and got to play more!

Still, had I the money, I'd buy the lot!

Lord Rahl
08-25-2004, 12:39 PM
In terms of design, Elven all the way. (Think Glamdring, The White Staff (Yes, it was forged by the elves of Lothlorien)

But I cannot forget Herugrim, I love that sword to death.

Theoden of Rohan
08-25-2004, 04:25 PM
My vote is for Human weapons. Just b/c it has Herugrim. There is just something special about Theoden's sword.

Lord Rahl
08-25-2004, 04:46 PM
My vote is for Human reasons. Just b/c it has Herugrim. There is just something special about Theoden's sword.
Yes there is indeed.
Lol, I can imagine that whenever you pick it up, you hear those few low chords that play as Theoden begins his speech (That scene+score is PERFECT).
I know I will when I get mine:D

Gil-Galad
08-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Yes there is indeed.
Lol, I can imagine that whenever you pick it up, you hear those few low chords that play as Theoden begins his speech (That scene+score is PERFECT).
I know I will when I get mine:D
I agree with both of you, so I bought the sword!:rolleyes:

Anduril
10-08-2004, 08:48 AM
I don't think there's a single elvish weapon that could compete with Andúril except for maybe Aiglos.

Silmierama
10-08-2004, 11:15 PM
I guess I'd have to say Elvish weapons, (insamuch and Anduril's in that category) though more accurately I prefer the weapons of Numenorians and the Dunedain. I guess the Dunedain count more as Men, but they still are pretty heavily influenced by Elven culture, and Numenorians even more so.

hollywood75
04-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Has anyone considered how Dengir en 'Ksh(Evil's Bane) looks like an elvish sword? Like a cross between Hadafang and the elf infantry sword.

Personally my fav is Glamdring

AWF1209
04-22-2005, 12:40 AM
I voted human weapons. :sword_fig (even though I like elvish weapons a lot too!) I think there is a neat variety becuase you have very intricate swords like Herugrim, and then you have the more simple swords like Strider's Ranger Sword. It's kinda' weird, but it almost seems that it's the simplicity of the Ranger Sword that I'm attracted to, it just seems to stand out from the others in its own way. Just my opinion. :) I also think that the fact humans prevail in the end and rule Middle Earth helps too. ;)

Anduril33
04-29-2005, 04:20 PM
i had to choose "cant decide", cuz man, every single sword so far from LOTR's (other then the scimitar) is great!! you should have made it a "i love them both" other then "cant descide". but i gotta say, elvish weapons are great in there look, and even more so then the men swords. i like the curvyness they have, they remind me alot of the arabian swords you would almost see in aladdin, lol, especially striders elven dagger. anduril is awwsome, it was my first sword (technically, i ordered anduril and the SED at the same time, and i recieved my SED first, but for a sword sword, i got anduril first, lol), and with the elven warrior sword being released soon (ok, gotta wait till the end of summer, but it'll come here soon enough!) im loving the elven swords much much more. i havent anticipated getting a sword this bad since i got my anduril! EWS rocks!! :head_bang

Cactuskim
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Elvish blades rule! :do_the_wa

I have LFK and Hadafang already, they are awsome.

I am eagerly awating the EWS, and have been drooling over Glamdring for a long time. I am only waiting on Glamdring at this time, because I want to see how it looks and what it costs in the MC line.

Cactuskim

silmarillionart
04-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Narsil and through association Anduril was Dwarven in design and contruction. Simply because the elves can mend it and slap some runes on the blade doesn't exactly take away from it's origins, and it was made in the Blue Mountains, not Gondolin, and certainly without Elven influence. At any rate, I guess I'll have to pick the weaponry created by Men over the Elvish blades. The human designs are just far more practical (which is really what this is about, practicality vs. what looks better). The Elvish blades for all their sexy curves and intricut detail work don't make very good weapons in my opinion. I think they all lack hand guards (except for Glamdring and Sting, which both resemble the weaponry of Men far more than anything else Elvish, actually, wasn't Glamdring designed and made by Dwarves too?), and something like the Prologue/Helm's Deep swords aren't very good for close combat at all, seeing as they're too wide to weild easily, don't have a one handed option and have an awkward curve which severely limits swing functions.

In all honesty, the Gondorian, Numenorean and Rohirrim blade designs are all pretty boring when you get down to it (except Narsil/Anduril, which belongs to neither race technically), but I'd much rather walk into battle with one of them then get caught with an awkward weapon that lets a blade slide over the handle and chop my fingers off.